New to photography any advice?

bwolson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello im looking to get into photography just as a hobby not a proffesion...

My question is is the nikon d50 worth buying anymore I believe i found a pretty good deal on one and it comes with the following

nikon d50 body
tamron lense 70-300
tamron lense 28-80
camera bag(has slots for everything in it)
charger
computer connecter
all the manuals
4 gb memory card
256mb memory card
cleaning clothes

how much would you be willing to spend ... thanks for all the help

On the used market, I would price that outfit at no more than $500....I would not willingly pay much more than that,mainly due to the age of the D50 and the 28-80 lens as the short zoom; 28-80 is not a very good "kit" lens for a 1.5x body--it's too long at the short end of 28mm. The Tamron 70-300 is not worth much either. The fact that there's a bag with it is helpful, but this outfit, in today's market in which one can buy a brand new Nikon D40 with an 18-50, VR-equipped kit lens,both with warranties, for $529 new, and a 70-300 Tamron worth maybe $95 used, makes me put the price at $500--absolutely "tops".

My husband bought me that kit 3 years ago for christmas, and it has served me extremely well. I am just now upgrading to a D90 and some nice primes, so if this is just a hobby, this is a good camera for you. One issue you will run into with a D40 is it will not autofocus with prime lenses.

Most reactions

Back