New to photography any advice?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by bwolson, Oct 26, 2009.

1. bwolson

bwolson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello im looking to get into photography just as a hobby not a proffesion...

My question is is the nikon d50 worth buying anymore I believe i found a pretty good deal on one and it comes with the following

nikon d50 body
    tamron lense 70-300
    tamron lense 28-80
    camera bag(has slots for everything in it)
    charger
    computer connecter
    all the manuals
    4 gb memory card
    256mb memory card
    cleaning clothes

how much would you be willing to spend ... thanks for all the help

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    On the used market, I would price that outfit at no more than $500....I would not willingly pay much more than that,mainly due to the age of the D50 and the 28-80 lens as the short zoom; 28-80 is not a very good "kit" lens for a 1.5x body--it's too long at the short end of 28mm. The Tamron 70-300 is not worth much either. The fact that there's a bag with it is helpful, but this outfit, in today's market in which one can buy a brand new Nikon D40 with an 18-50, VR-equipped kit lens,both with warranties, for $529 new, and a 70-300 Tamron worth maybe $95 used, makes me put the price at $500--absolutely "tops".

3. CCarsonPhoto

CCarsonPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My husband bought me that kit 3 years ago for christmas, and it has served me extremely well. I am just now upgrading to a D90 and some nice primes, so if this is just a hobby, this is a good camera for you. One issue you will run into with a D40 is it will not autofocus with prime lenses.