New toy, new toy, new toy!!

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been lurking through Nikon's refurbished section, waiting for a sale, so I could pounce on a new 200-500. With their sale last week I pulled the trigger! I haven't had more than 20 min yet to take it for a test spin, but from what I already see, I'm confident I'll be VERY happy with the purchase. I bought it predominantly for wildlife, but I'm already seeing many uses. These were the first few snaps I got. The contrast and sharpness is great, even at f/5.6.

The VR on this thing is simply amazing! This was shot at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/60 sec, ISO 6400 handheld, SOOC, no sharpening, nothing

Same image, 100% crop

Finally started seeing the limits of the VR at 1/10 sec handheld! Again, SOOC

A few more samples with minor editing.

What really shocked me was the potential for macro-ish images. It doesn't match the sharpness and detail of a dedicated macro lens, but in a pinch, it does pretty darn good! All handheld with available light.

Congrats on the new toy! Excellent shots!

Hmm, I just checked B&H for the price on that lens ... it is pretty reasonably priced, I wish Sony would make one of those.

Pup-dog apparently doesn't think much of it! :lol: I really like mine; I bought it as a 'fun' lens, but I've used it for a lot of event work. A dynamite performer for the price!

Congrats! By far my favorite lens.

Ohhhhh, that looks like very very nice.
It is indeed!

Congrats on the new toy! Excellent shots!
Thanks, I'm excited to play with it some more.

Hmm, I just checked B&H for the price on that lens ... it is pretty reasonably priced, I wish Sony would make one of those.
For what you get, it is absolutely reasonably priced!

Pup-dog apparently doesn't think much of it! :lol: I really like mine; I bought it as a 'fun' lens, but I've used it for a lot of event work. A dynamite performer for the price!
Yeah, he has quite the sense of humor... I think it has quite a few application beyond wildlife, just need to start exploring!

Congrats on the new "TOOL". :345:
Yes, yes. "Tool." Very important tool that I simply NEEDED for various important reasons.. At least that's what I told my wife...

Congrats! By far my favorite lens.
Thanks! I have a feeling it will be in my top 3, along with my 70-200 and 35 f/1.4.

Just stopped in to say "thumbs up on the Macallan!"

(thumbs up)

I'm "trying" to justify this lens to myself.
But I am not shooting enough long range stuff ... yet.

Awesome piece of glass. I have always admired that lens, it probably is the best long zoom out there. You got a sweet copy for sure.

I love this lens as well. When I need it, there is no substitute!

Most reactions

Back