New... used.. K10D, and the Scott Monument

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by cigrainger, Feb 1, 2009.

1. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I'm in a group that is part of a student-run charity that works with local NGOs around the globe (we're going to Cameroon to build a trade and development centre in a village called Bamendjin), and I spent the day bagpacking at M&S till it was dark out, fundraising. I got home to find that my new (used) Pentax K10D and Pentax SMC-DA 16-45/4 lens were here, but that it was pitch dark outside already. I decided not to let that deter me, and went out into the cold with my new camera. As expected, it was too dark, and only one shot came out that I liked. Here 'tis:

[​IMG]

The K10D is fantastic. I've been using a K100D, and this thing is certainly a very big step up. It feels much more solid, there are many features I wish I had on the K100D (like spot metering), and the autofocus is quick even in low light despite the fact that it uses the screwdriver-type motor. The viewfinder is one of the most obvious improvements, I think, being much larger and brighter (no tunnel vision).

2. Stillwater

Stillwater TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dig the shot man! How long was the exposure?

3. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! Exif data says it was a 20 sec exposure at f/9.5 at 16mm.

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice how St. Giles shows up in the distance. :D
    And I like the outcome of your venturing out into the cold night. Looks good here.
    You've been away for quite long! Where have you been?

5. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Corinna :D. I see you've been brushing up on your Edinburgh geography, haha.

I have been away for a long time -- spending a lot of time studying. I got bogged down trying to get better image quality (on a budget) and not taking as many photos. Medium format is great if you have the time and money, but I have neither. So I sold off a bunch of stuff and upgraded to the K10D and a decent zoom, and now I'm running around taking a bunchhh of photos.