Nice day in London

freelunch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrydavis.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today we went for a guided walk around the old docks area of London. It was a beautiful day – the first we've had for a week. I took a bunch of snaps, but these seemed to be worth posting:

1. Tower Bridge and City Hall. This is the bridge Arizona thought it was buying when it bought London Bridge. It had drawn up when we first arrived and a three-master went through. On the right is City Hall, or "Ken's Bollock" as it was famously known, until Ken was replaced as mayor by Boris.

01TowerBridgeCityHall.jpg

2. Tower Bridge as seen as a reflection in Ken's Bollock:

02TowerBridge.jpg

3. Canary Wharf. This is a fairly new area of London, built with the intention of moving the financial centre from The City to Docklands. It is a cold commercial zone that pretty much empties at night. My interest in this shot was the contrast of seeing it from a grassy knoll.

03CanaryWharf.jpg

Cheers.

what format are these then ?
it's a very photogenic location.. tower walk. and along towards waterloo,
past the NFT and book sellers.

canary wharf is a bit 'secure' for wandering with a camera i found a while
ago. canada square etc.

is that brass-telescope fibre-optic linkup with manhattan still in situ, outside
the london assembly building?

what format are these then ?

Just standard shots with the tops and bottoms cropped off.

it's a very photogenic location.. tower walk. and along towards waterloo, past the NFT and book sellers.

canary wharf is a bit 'secure' for wandering with a camera i found a while
ago. canada square etc.

We've walked many times along the Thames from Westminster to Greenwich, north bank and south bank. Lots of nice spots. Never worried about security.

is that brass-telescope fibre-optic linkup with manhattan still in situ, outside the london assembly building?

I've not noticed it. Maybe today when we're at South Bank – I'll let you know.

Makes me want to travel back to London with a bag full of chips. I especially like the first one. It holds really well to the "rule of thirds". I would like to see the top of city hall but I can see that you probably could not get the composition you wanted if you moved the crop up.

Makes me want to travel back to London with a bag full of chips. I especially like the first one. It holds really well to the "rule of thirds". I would like to see the top of city hall but I can see that you probably could not get the composition you wanted if you moved the crop up.

Ha! I know what the top of City Hall looks like, but you're probably right – the crop was unnecessarily tight.

What do you think?

04.jpg

No, I think I prefer the original, but thanks for taking an interest. :)

Last edited:
Ha! I know what the top of City Hall looks like, but you're probably right – the crop was unnecessarily tight.

What do you think?

04.jpg

No, I think I prefer the original, but thanks for taking an interest. :)

I clearly prefer this less tight crop. maybe if you had cropped more on the right hand side as well - chopping not just the top off that building, but also one side, then I would maybe like that crop even more ;)

By the way, I regularly get stopped by security exactly in that spot, or searched by the Metro Police patrols under the terrorism act ;)

Ken's Bollock eh...???
So I presume that long tube-like 'leading line' is Ken's Epididymis..? - sort of uncoiled..
Jedo

is that brass-telescope fibre-optic linkup with manhattan still in situ, outside the london assembly building?

I asked a chap manning an information booth on at South Bank about the link you mention. He said it had been outside the Tate Modern, but was no longer there.

Most reactions

Back