Nightmare shoot, unhappy customer, advice please!

Rickroll

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I'm new and this place is huge, so sorry if this is the wrong area to discuss this.

I was recently contacted by a woman who wanted her three sons photographed. She had issues getting to the studio so it was arranged that I would take my mobile kit and conduct the shoot at her residence. When I arrived, she was waiting with her three sons but also had her two nieces there, wanting all five to be photographed. I felt a bit ambushed as this wasn't what was agreed, but I figured it wouldn't make too much difference and I was already there so I set up and began the shoot.

All 5 children were under 5 years old and most were quite unruly. On top of this, two just would not stop crying throughout the entire process. I've worked with lots of children over the years and I am fully aware that they have their on rules and will do as they please, but the mother was unwilling to put any control over them and I am of course limited in how much I can say and do with other peoples children so I just tried to muddle on.

About 15 minutes in, the mother removed all but the two crying children from the set and asked that I shoot them alone, which I did, though neither stopped crying. She then recalled the three other children to be shot without the two who were crying. By this point the children had lost all interest and were not keeping still or doing anything else asked of them. The shoot was turning into a disaster and I could tell the mother was starting to feel embarrassed and a bit stressed out. She asked that I take the two sets of images and edit them together to make whole group photos. Now, I'm pretty handy with my edits but I said to her that this would be a long and challenging process (she was having 50 prints) and that there wouldn't be enough material to work with without duplicating some images. She had only booked me for an hour and we were already way past that.

I decided to try again getting them together in a group, but again to no avail. There was never less than two of them crying at any one time, which instinctively made them get up and try going to their mother, who then kept dragging them back down in front of the camera, while the ones who weren't crying were getting distracted by the drama and climbing all over the equipment, etc.

In the end she said she had had enough of trying because the children wouldn't play ball, and I think she was a bit embarrassd, to be honest. At this point I knew the whole thing was going to be a bust and I was now late to another appointment, so I offered to come back on another day and reshoot in the hope that the children would be a bit more settled. I even offered to do it at no extra cost because I knew that the photos would be poor and I didn't want her to be disappointed. She turned down the offer, telling me to just try my best with what I had. She was fully aware that the images would not be up to standard and that splicing them together wouldn't make up for the lack of good quality images, and she was even apologetic for how badly it had all gone. I again offered to reshoot, but she once more turned the offer down.

Just as expected, when I ran the images through the editing suite they were a disaster. The only redeeming quality they had was that the lighting was excellent, but other than that I was faced with runny noses, crying eyes, heads faced away from the camera, spots where children were missing entirely and a whole host of other problems. Had the order been smaller I could have done the job fine, but the idea of building up to 40 images out of random parts to get the full total was daunting. Once again I spoke with the client, explained the situation and offered to reshoot. She again said no, told me that after the way the children behaved she would be happy with anything and told me to get on with it. So I did.

It took longer than normal, as I explained it would, and to be honest about 75% of the finished product was a mess. Edits are one of my strongest points, but I found this to be extremely difficult and I was working on images I wouldn't normally dare even show to a customer, let alone offer as part of their package, but I didn't know what else I could do. Every offer to re-shoot was turned down and even when I explained that they wouldn't be amazing, she still wanted me to go ahead and edit them together anyway. I did the best that I could manage, tried to hide as many issues as I could and then sent her the proofs by the due date. Now, the images were by no means perfect, and I admit that I would never show them to another soul as my own work, but considering what I was working with they could have turned out a whole lot worse than they did and some of them turned out fantastically, though I admit they were in a small minority.

Anyway, when she got the images back she was not pleased, as I expected she probably wouldn't be. She is fully aware of my work and so knows that this is not my usual standard, however she is also very aware of the challenges we faced on the day of the shoot and so I did expect she would react slightly better. She is now demanding a reshoot and her money back (one or the other is perhaps understandable, but both seems extreme) and is threatening to bad mouth me to everyone she knows. I'm from a small community and despite some stiff competition I do pretty well for myself. People are aware of me and my work and I get a lot of interest, but I've never had a negative response so far and now I'm worried that my reputation will be unfairly damaged. I have offered the reshoot, as I feel partly responsible, but that doesn't mean that she won't complain to everyone about it anyway. And despite her not liking 'a single damn picture', the email address she contacted me with within an hour of having her proofs already had one of them as the profile image, and a quick snoop on facebook showed that another seperate one was now her profile picture there (with lots of likes and positive comments, too).

I know that this is a huge ranty post, and for that I apologise, but I was wondering what others think would be the best course of action here? Or if anyone has faced anything similar. A reshoot is easy enough and that can all be put right, but her bad words against me, if they come, could be far more damaging. Am I worrying over nothing or should I do more than agree to a reshoot in order to keep her happy? If it makes any difference, I've also got written copies of our correspondence where she turned down reshoots and where I have explained that the quality of the images are not as good as I would have liked due to issues on the day, and her saying she doesn't care etc.

Get a solicitor to send her a letter quoting she can have money back or a reshoot and any bad mouthing will be dealt with in court

I'd give her the money back, a letter stating that any bad mouthing will end up in court and give her the number of someone you dislike to take on any further shoots.

Hi.

This is where it gets a bit complicated. The contract for this particular shoot states that it was for an hour and that a charge for overtime could be incurred, which I didn't charge for as I felt sorry for her and the hard time she was having with the children, even though it ran to nearly 2 1/2 hours. As for content, I'm paraphrasing here, but it basically states that I am responsible for any technical problems, bad lighting, over exposure, bad finish etc, but that when shooting young children I'm not responsible if the child/children aren't playing ball. I know that seems vague, but I did explain to her in full detail. For example, I can take a hundred beautiful pictures of a crying child, but if she hates the fact the child is crying in every picture, and the child won't stop crying, then I am not responsible for that as long as the quality of the image is of a high standard. The contract states that no reshoot will be offered unless the problem lies with me, or at my discression, though I was offering one before she had even finished the first shoot as I knew it wouldn't work out.

The problem is, the overall quality of the images isn't up to scratch, however this is due to the content. I'm not trying to pass the buck here in terms of the issue but the lighting, finish etc is fine. Her problem is that she is unhappy that they aren't looking perfectly posed, or that the children are crying, or that the baby looks uncomfortable the way he is being held by the other children. One of the children didn't smile in one single frame, no matter how much me and his mum tried to get him to, and despite her knowing this, another one of her complaints is that he looks too glum. Some of the images where I have had to edit two or more together aren't particularly obvious, but because she is aware that they are 'fake', she has also complained about them (one, she said, she would have preferred to have had one of the children sat at the opposite side of the image), which puts me at a loss either way because I either edit the images together as asked, or not meet the order, and either way she would have something to complain about.

Sorry, I didn't see the middle two replies.

She has said that she wants both a refund and a reshoot. One or the other I am willing to do for an easy life, but not both. That hardly seems fair, especially when I don't think full responsibility lies with me. I have told her that I am willing to offer one or the other, but this just seems to have made her mad and then she stopped replying, so now I'm really anxious about what she might be saying about me online or to others. In the few years I've been doing this I've never had a complaint before and now I'm really worried because she seems so mad and unreasonable about it all.

Nope, if she bad mouths you, document it, get a solicitor to send a letter and then sue her for defamation.

I would NOT refund one penny, especially for all of the time spent in post processing. Reshoot it or give her what you have. Those are her options. Period. Do not let her walk all over you.

Sorry, I didn't see the middle two replies.

She has said that she wants both a refund and a reshoot. One or the other I am willing to do for an easy life, but not both. That hardly seems fair, especially when I don't think full responsibility lies with me. I have told her that I am willing to offer one or the other, but this just seems to have made her mad and then she stopped replying, so now I'm really anxious about what she might be saying about me online or to others. In the few years I've been doing this I've never had a complaint before and now I'm really worried because she seems so mad and unreasonable about it all.

Ok, so from the sounds of things legally your pretty well covered here. If you want my advice, leave it alone. Don't try contacting her anymore. If and when she calms down and wants to discuss things rationally then maybe you can come to a compromise, but until then there really isn't anything more that can be done. At this stage just from the situation you described she's way too emotional about this whole thing and even if you were to do a reshoot and a refund I doubt she'd be satisfied and you'd still have her bad mouthing you, so not much point in giving away the farm.

If and when she calms down and contacts you then if you feel obliged to offer a reshoot, by all means do so - however I would recommend you do it on your own turf if at all possible. Explain to her that even though it might be difficult for her to come to the studio that those are the conditions under which you are comfortable doing a reshoot. Also explain to her that while you are willing to do a single reshoot, that it will be a one shot deal. If she cannot get the children to cooperate then you will not make third attempt.

But the key here is to wait until she contacts you - until then just leave it alone. That would be my advice at any rate.

I think she is taking the piss mate. Your offer of a refund or a reshoot is already above what your contract says she is entitled to and it seems like she is wanting something for free.

I also think it doesn't really matter what you do, given her behavior (and the total unwillingness control of her own kids) she will probably bad mouth you anyway, whither she gets a refund, another shoot or a refund and a reshoot. Some people are unreasonable t***s but you can take comfort in that the people she knows will probably know her too.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I'm really hoping it will all blow over. I spent more time in post for this shoot than I have for any other I have ever done, and I'm really disappointed that it's all turned so sour after putting in way more hours than the shoot ended up being worth. If and when she messages me again, I will offer the reshoot and hope that she accepts it so this can all be put to bed, however I don't think I am in for an easy ride with it. I know for a fact she has complained to a friend that we have in common, as they have told me this evening, however part of me feels like it's a bit of a double standard that she complains and demands a reshoot and a refund, yet is obviously happy enough to be using the images on social network sites and in her email profile.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I'm really hoping it will all blow over. I spent more time in post for this shoot than I have for any other I have ever done, and I'm really disappointed that it's all turned so sour after putting in way more hours than the shoot ended up being worth. If and when she messages me again, I will offer the reshoot and hope that she accepts it so this can all be put to bed, however I don't think I am in for an easy ride with it. I know for a fact she has complained to a friend that we have in common, as they have told me this evening, however part of me feels like it's a bit of a double standard that she complains and demands a reshoot and a refund, yet is obviously happy enough to be using the images on social network sites and in her email profile.

Do screen captures on all that usage - and then ignore her.

If our clients are not completely satisfied with our product FOR ANY REASON (even after delivery of a wall print) we offer another session FREE.

That being said, we make absolutely sure we know exactly what the client REALLY wanted but failed to communicate to us--so we're all on the same page. Sometimes you must change the setting with hard to handle kids. We've found that if studio fails many times an outdoor session will work with children--and that our sales are usually higher as well when we go outside.

Speaking of sales, it sounds like you are doing "PROOFS" online--since she got hold of images and posted them on her Facebook page.

BIG MISTAKE!!! WE DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ONLINE UNTIL AFTER OUR CLIENTS HAVE SEEN THEIR PREMIERE IN OUR STUDIO AND PLACED AND PAID FOR THEIR ORDER IN FULL. ANY DEVIATION FROM THIS PROCEDURE WILL REDUCE PROFITS PER SESSION!!

In our 25 years in business, full time, we have only done session redos for THREE clients--in the worst case senario where we delivered large wall prints and they were not satisfied. However, in two of those cases, they were so thrilled with the new session that they bought enough extra prints that we made a good profit beyond the cost of replacing their wall portrait!

Hang in there, most clients are reasonable and fair and appreciate what you do for them!

Most reactions

Back