Nikkor 180mm- f2.8 D AF ED... Worth trying to sell?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have one of these...

Nikon Telephoto Nikkor 180mm F 2 8D AF Ed If Autofocus Lens | eBay
That isn't in as nice of shape as this one is. I purchased it from a wedding photographer that beat the hell out of his equipment. The badges are missing, the AF is on the slow side (read bad for action shots) the filter ring was beat up to the point where you couldn't get a filter on it (I've since straightened it and have a UV filter on it... other filters can be mounted to that) and there are some small scratches in the front element that do not seem to affect IQ at all.

I don't use this lens much. The images are sharp (as seen in the pics below) but It just doesn't leave the bag much. I'm contemplating swapping it in for someting more useful, but I'm not sure where to even price it.

Below are pics of the damage to the filter ring and front element (ring has been straightened) and a couple sample pics. Any idea on where I should try to price this thing? I'm kind of at a loss.

Damage...

5590480447_c12a21ff39.jpg

Samples...

5728538910_e2193bc8b2.jpg

5593560165_f2f1f78464.jpg

5590323583_9e165bbf90.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
KEH currently list these in 'bargain' condition for $289. You'd likely have to go lower to get an buyer interested interested buyer away from KEH.

Might as well keep it unless you really need the $200 to $250. Never know when you'd want a beater lens to take to a paintball tournament or a sand storm or whatever but still want good quality images.

Might as well keep it unless you really need the $200 to $250. Never know when you'd want a beater lens to take to a paintball tournament or a sand storm or whatever but still want good quality images.

Well, that's disheartening. Can't do much in the glass department with $200 Can you?

I'd better move to Arizona and develop an interest in paintball, eh?

I used on for most of a summer with a 12mm or 20mm Kenko AF extension tube for shooting butterflies, back in the summer of 2003. It's a fairly decent performer with an extension tube as a sort of poor man's 180mm macro lens, especially on APS-C, where the central zone performance of the lens is pretty good even at close focus. It's true, the autofocusing of this lens is not that great, but on the pro-level bodies (D2x,D3x) it's decent, although it is most decidedly not an AF-S Nikkor. And yeah, beaters go for under three bills...but as you already know, these lenses are built tough, and even a thrasher like yours can still have good image quality. I agree with the poster above: it is worth more as a shooter than as a seller.

Most reactions

Back