Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8D opinions?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by jshelto3, Feb 8, 2008.

1. jshelto3

jshelto3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nikon 35-70 f/2.8D AF Zoom Nikkor Lens what are people's opinion on this lens. I would be using it mostly for a very shallow depth of field. The fixed F/2.8 is what I am excited about. I would like to know if the lesser price goes with lesser quality. It will be used on a D100.

2. Stranger

Stranger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to own one, was BRILLIANT on 35mm, on a DX body, it's so-so.

The push-pull is clunky, the AF is noisy, but it's clarity is through the ROOF.

The reason I say it's so-so on digital is that it's range, 35-70mm, is awkward. The 17-55 is a better choice because it's a much more useful range.

4. finegank

finegank TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with that Switch fella, I own the 17-55 2.8, and it produces beautiful shallow DOF portraits.

5. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use this lens almost daily. Look at my pbase page in the link below (my sig) and browse the live bands page. Most of the pix from the last several months are from this lens. I love the push-pull and prefer it. The lens is super sharp on both my DX and FX cameras. Also look in "my feathered friends" page at the pic "Azulie outdoors - 2". This was shot with this lens on a D1X in 2003. It was run as a limited print 24 X 36 and sold out. The image to the right is a rop from that file to show the sharpness from that camera/lens. Needless to say, It's one of me favorite lenses.

6. jshelto3

jshelto3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the opinion guys. Luckily, I have a little time to think about it.

7. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

The 35-70 f2.8 is a brilliant lens but it does have a propensity for flare so be careful shooting into the sun. The macro feature, although not a true macro, more like close focussing, works well enough. Not being an AFS it tends to be a bit slow focussing on my d70 but no issues with my d200's. My buddy used it on his d100 and had no negative opinions with it. It makes for a nice portrait lens on a cropped sensor camera, covering normal to near telephoto ranges. It can be had second hand for a lot less money than the 17-55 f2.8.

Pat

8. jshelto3

jshelto3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thats good to here. I would definately be using this lens for shots with a very shallow depth of field and for macro shooting. I have seriously thought about looking into a second hand lens but I didn't know if used lenses were worth the chance.