Nikon Body Upgrade

Nerdlike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right now im using an old used Nikon F-301, and I'm getting more serious about my photography. I bought it for about 100$, so it really isn't worth much. I'm looking for something in the F series, only better, but i still want it to have a light meter. I dont know very much about analog SLRs, but can someone explain me the benefits of upgrading, and advice on which one i should pick?

I had a F501(same as 301 but with AF) and just bought a F4S not too long ago.

Benefits?
1. For you, you will have AF option.
2. Matrix metering.
3. More shutter speed range

Otherwise, in terms of camera, I don't really see a difference.

Some say F100 is also a good choice so you can consider that too. However the F100 won't do matrix metering with manual lens.

F100.... costs $200 or less these days.

If you want something more retro a F3 would do nicely, but you'd have to get used to manual film advance, which I prefer anyway.

So far im considering the FM2/FE2 and F3. I'll be getting a 50mm f1.4 lens with it i think, it fits all of them as long as its MF and ai right?

So if you are considering the FM2/FE2 or the F3, how will it be an "upgrade" from the F301? Or should I ask, what more are you looking for when considering your options?

So far im considering the FM2/FE2 and F3. I'll be getting a 50mm f1.4 lens with it i think, it fits all of them as long as its MF and ai right?

The only lenses that won't work correctly on those cameras are G (no aperture ring) and DX (crop sensor) lenses.

Like another poster said, feature wise those cameras won't really be upgrades from what your used to--in fact they'll have a few less features.

However they are build much better, and "feel" better in your hands.

You might also want to consider and nikon FA... it has the most features of all the nikon manual focus cameras... including matrix metering, shutter and program modes, and ttl flash.

Yes, AI, AIS, or Series E lenses can be used on the FM2/FE2/F3. Also, the
first 2 generations of auto-focus lenses are OK too (AF Nikkor or AF Nikkor "D")
which will be manually focused on those cameras, of course.

Do not use pre-AI lenses on the FE2 or FM2 (unless they have been
converted to AI).

The Nikon F3 can use pre-AI lenses in stop-down mode if the AI coupling
tab on the lens mount is flipped up before mounting the lens.

You made a great choice. The F-301/N2000 is probably the most solid option for anyone wanting a Nikon analog SLR body. They aren't as popular as most models in the Nikon line, but with the rapid motor advance and pretty fast shutter speed of 1/2000... not sure you really need to upgrade. The price you will pay for a stepped up model will be at least twice of what you have invested in your F-301.

But if you do decide to "upgrade", instead of leaving the F-301 sitting on a shelf somewhere (if it's not your backup!) then give me a shout and maybe we can work out something if you are looking to relocate it to a new home.

Find an FM2. It's the best manual focus Nikon for the money, and I like that it can function fully with or without batteries. If you want something more up-to-date, consider the F100, F4, or even the F5. These cameras are coming down in price quickly. Here in Japan I can get an F100 for less than $100, or an F5 for around $300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back