Nikon D40

teishu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.junderhill.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, im going to be getting a digital SLR in a few months, and i was wondering what you all think to the Nikon D40. Im going to be mainly shooting landscapes, and other nature sorta of things. Would this camera be ok for this ? also do i need the 55-200mm lense for there kind of shots, or is just the 18-55mm ok ?

Thanks

The D40 provides great image quality and is a fine camera, except that it only focuses with AF-I and AF-S lenses. If you're starting out new, that's no big deal, just remember to not buy AF-D lenses.

As for the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, they're ok if you stop down a few times, but they're slow lenses (f/5.6 at the long end). If you have the money, it'd be better if you could afford the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5. I've never used the 55-200, so I don't really know what it's like.

The D40 provides great image quality and is a fine camera, except that it only focuses with AF-I and AF-S lenses.

To be precise, it only autofocuses with the AF-I and AF-S lenses. D-Series lenses work fine, but have to be focused manually. (I know that's what you meant, just thought I'd clarify.)
:wink:

whatever, yeah, you know what i mean. :er:

can you get any lenses for it, that are purely manual focus ? as in not designed for auto focusing... thanks for all the advice by
the way

also, can you turn off the AF on the 18-55mm that comes with the camera so it can be focused manually ?

can you get any lenses for it, that are purely manual focus ? as in not designed for auto focusing... thanks for all the advice by
the way

Nikon's purely manual focus AI and AIS lenses (as well as aftermarket MF lenses) will attach to the camera and work, but will not couple to the exposure metering system. However, as previously stated, Nikon D-Series AF lenses will work as manual focus lenses and will allow full metering functionality.

also, can you turn off the AF on the 18-55mm that comes with the camera so it can be focused manually ?

Yes. The camera has a switch to turn off the AF. The lens can then be focused manually. This is necessary as there are some situations (low light, etc.) in which the AF won't work.

Nikon's purely manual focus AI and AIS lenses (as well as aftermarket MF lenses) will attach to the camera and work, but will not couple to the exposure metering system. However, as previously stated, Nikon D-Series AF lenses will work as manual focus lenses and will allow full metering functionality.

Yes. The camera has a switch to turn off the AF. The lens can then be focused manually. This is necessary as there are some situations (low light, etc.) in which the AF won't work.

ok thanks

I'm just curious... when you say the manual focus lenses will not allow metering, does this apply only to the matrix metering (which I would expect), or is there no TTL metering of any description?

I'm just curious... when you say the manual focus lenses will not allow metering, does this apply only to the matrix metering (which I would expect), or is there no TTL metering of any description?

There is no metering whatsoever. AI and AIS lenses use a mechanical connection between the aperture ring and the camera. Nikon digital cameras use an electronic connection that started with the D-series lenses. Only the D200 (that I know of) has both and can meter with the older AI and AIS (mechanical) lenses.

D-series lenses have both the electronic connection points and the aperture ring flange, so they're backwards-compatible with older SLRs (like my FE2).

Confused?

Confused?

Only because I'm used to metering with even ancient lenses on my SLRs and dSLRS :) For example it makes sense to me that the body would be unable to control the aperture, but I assumed that if you stopped it down manually it might be able to meter (but obviously not to auto-expose based on that meter reading). For example if I were to use a screw-mount lens with an adapter on my cameras or on a Canon or Sony/Minolta obviously there would be no camera control of aperture, but stopped-down metering would still be possible. Similarly with bayonet lenses without electronic aperture control I can stop down with DOF preview and meter.

Btw I'm not criticising Nikon here, I was just surprised that there's no way to meter with manual focus lenses at all. Not that it would really matter to 99.9% of people. Anyway thanks for explaining.

Only because I'm used to metering with even ancient lenses on my SLRs and dSLRS :) For example it makes sense to me that the body would be unable to control the aperture, but I assumed that if you stopped it down manually it might be able to meter (but obviously not to auto-expose based on that meter reading). For example if I were to use a screw-mount lens with an adapter on my cameras or on a Canon or Sony/Minolta obviously there would be no camera control of aperture, but stopped-down metering would still be possible. Similarly with bayonet lenses without electronic aperture control I can stop down with DOF preview and meter.

Btw I'm not criticising Nikon here, I was just surprised that there's no way to meter with manual focus lenses at all. Not that it would really matter to 99.9% of people. Anyway thanks for explaining.

Well, I thought about that after I put up my post. I have not tried stop-down metering (I only have a few AI/S lenses), but that would only be theoretically possible on camera bodies with DOF preview (which I don't think the D40 has). Perhaps someone else can "shed some light".

PS I just tried it with an AI lens on my D80. The display shows shutter speed but not aperture (which of course one can get off the ring). Pressing the stop-down button does nothing. Still, it seems to me that one would need either a separate light meter or a laborious back and forth swap with a "modern" lens.

Hi, I've just looked at the D50 also and it looks as though it has alot less features than the D40. Is this right ? and if so why is it more expensive ?

Hi, I've just looked at the D50 also and it looks as though it has alot less features than the D40. Is this right ? and if so why is it more expensive ?
Because it doesn't have the hardware to work with motor focus lenses. (i.e. the older autofocus Nikon lenses) Also, for the moment, it is in demand, because it is being replaced by the D40, which is less capable, so people are snapping them up.

You would be better off with a D50, IMO, as it gives you a much larger range of lenses to choose from down the road.

The kit lens will be fine for your use. It is f/5.6 on the long end of the zoom, but this is no big deal at all for shooting outdoor. For your kind of photography, you will be much better served by investing in a tripod than fast lenses. The noise reduction in the latest SLRs is so good that the f/5.6 isn't a big disadvantage.

I recall seeing packages where you can get the D40 with both kit lenses for a slightly better price, but if you won't use the telephoto much, it may not be worth it.

For typical landscapes, the wide angle is what you need. But it is sure nice to be able to put on the long lens and pick out details of the landscapes when you want to, or to get nice, tight people pictures without having to get too close to them.

here is the comparison table i looked at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

as looking at it i see the only functions that aren't on the d50 that are on the d40 is the retouching ones. so i think if i have the chance i will get the d50.. looks bettr and has the lcd display ontop so i can see some different info without using the lcd on the back..

thanks for all the advice btw..

Yep, retouching can be done much more effectively in software anyhow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back