Struggling to Choose: Panasonic Lumix S5 II or FujiFilm X-T5?

ermiller79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, and sorta making a return to (mostly recreational) photography. I am in a position to make a major leap with a new camera and am struggling with what to buy. I think I have mostly narrowed my decision down to between the new Panasonic Lumix S5 Mark II (which I'll have to wait a few weeks for) or the FujiFilm X-T5 (However, I haven't ruled out a Nikon Z camera. Probably a Z6 or Z7). I really love the vintage look of the Fuji camera, as well as their lovely film simulations. I haven't entirely dismissed the idea going the Sony, or perhaps even the Olympus route. I'm not 100% against Canon, but having always been a Nikon guy, I just can't see myself going the Canon route.

My existing camera is a Nikon D7000 DSLR, so I know that whatever I choose will be a significant leap in technology. I do not own any amazing lenses, so there is no real marriage to Nikon (other than basically only ever shooting Nikon digital cameras), but I have considered purchasing an adapter to use my old Nikon F-mount lenses with whichever new body I choose (at least until I can afford some other new to me lenses).

I shoot mostly as a hobbyist, but would likely take on the occasional gig (probably in the realm of headshots, band photography and business promotional shoots). My favorite subjects to shoot are live bands, nature shots (up close and landscape), street photography, and candids of my children/family (which would include some sports photography). I would also definitely be using the camera to help support and promote my wife's business, which would involve some video work. I also have aspirations to perhaps pursue some short film projects. One feature that is a must-have for me is environmental sealing. Also, I would likely mostly shoot through the viewfinder, but I do like the idea of experimenting with using a fully articulating rear display.

I have fairly large hands, and am a bit concerned about the more compact bodies like the FujiFilm x-T5. I would really just love some input from the masses. As I did not expect this decision to be this hard.

If it's Fuji, look for an X-T4 body. Prime "Fujicron" f/2 lenses are superb and affordable. I'd look at another system for video. Not sure there's really a satisfactory do-it-all MILC.

If it's Fuji, look for an X-T4 body. Prime "Fujicron" f/2 lenses are superb and affordable. I'd look at another system for video. Not sure there's really a satisfactory do-it-all MILC.
Thank you. I know I am asking for a lot of versatility in one camera. In the end, I know that I will get all I really need and more in almost any option I choose since I was able to mostly do all the things I wanted with the Nikon D7000. I'm sure there will be compromises with one option or another, but I'm sure that I will be able to live with "decent-to-good" vs "great" for some functions. The more I dig and look at reviews, the more I find myself circling around to the Lumix S5 (I'm not sure the upgrades in the S5 II would make a gigantic difference for what I will be using it for). I also want to (really need to) stay under $2300 total. I think I can buy an open box or slightly used S5 with at least 2 lenses for that price (or brand new if their 20-60mm & 85mm deal gets back in stock and possibly goes on sale again).

Think you've got it. Keep in mind that trailing edge models still on shelves/open box/used can deliver huge value relative to new. Often the differences between current and replaced are marginal. Good luck.

I’m a Fuji fan. I have a XT2 and a XT3. The external controls and the colors are what I love. I have been shooting landscapes for years but also recently started shooting some nature shots. You can check out my results by searching my posts here on TPF or on my Flickr or Instagram. If you get the Fuji make sure to get the 70-300. It’s amazing.

2022 Favorites - Landscape by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back