Nikon D7100...What have I done?

RowdyRay

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
May have gone to the dark side. Or jumped ship. I don't know yet. Lol.

Found this in a pawnshop yesterday. Came with a 50mm f1.8D, original battery and charger, USB cable, two SanDisk Ultra Pro 32mb SD cards, after market strap, all the caps and a Tamarac case. A lot of stuff I've had to replace when buying used. Just to see if it worked. 17,2xx on the shutter.

In fantastic shape. Not a scratch on the LCD or top screen. Missing the eye cup and cover for the battery grip. Already ordered those. (about 12.00 on Ebay) A bit dusty in the quick cell shots. I'll clean that up, but wanted to make sure it worked properly. It does.

I've done business with them many times. Offered 300.00. Sold! Heck, the 50mm is still holding strong at 50.00 or more on Ebay.

Attachments

• nikon d7100.jpg
    nikon d7100.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 343
  • nikon d7100 2.jpg
    nikon d7100 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
Hopefully it's not stolen. Run an image through stolencamerafinder.com and see what comes up.

Seriously? Just for you I did. NOTHING!

A couple months ago, a thrift store was closing. Everything was 50% off. Found this Quantaray 70-210mm lens for Nikon.

I know it's a POS. But, for 7.50, figured it would be a good lens to test out Nikons. I buy and resell stuff to fund my addiction. Actually works pretty well. At least for testing purposes. And gives me another lens to mess with.

Attachments

• lens.jpg
    lens.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 277

That just means there's no images online the website was able to find. Doesn't guarantee it's not hot.

That just means there's no images online the website was able to find. Doesn't guarantee it's not hot.

I believe that in every one of the 50 states,pawn shops are required to fill out a form with a serial number and description of all merchandise and hold it for a period of time, usually around 16 days, so that law enforcement can run a check on the status of the items and make sure nothing has been reported as stolen, before offering the items for sale to the public.

The likelihood that the original poster was sold stolen merchandise from a pawn shop is actually quite remote. It's not like Craigslist. I thought you would know that.

Last edited:
I believe that in every one of the 50 states,pawn shops are required to fill out a form with a serial number and description of all merchandise and hold it for a period of time, usually around 16 dsy, so that law enforcement can run a check on the status of the items and make sure nothing has been reported as stolen, before offering the items for sale to the public.

The likelihood that the original poster was sold stolen merchandise from a pawn shop is actually quite remote. It's not like Craigslist. I thought you would know that.

Thank you. I was just addressing this when you posted. My response was very similar. And, you need to provide a valid drivers license with any transaction. If the item turns out to be stolen, the item and info is then turned over to the police and they deal with it. They've been there for a very long time. Not possible if not following the rules.

Welcome to the Nikon world.

Now, to get you confused, the Canon and Nikon zoom rings turn in opposite direction. :eek:
IMHO, if you are a casual shooter, this really does not matter.
It is only when you shoot action/sports and you zoom by muscle memory that it can/will cause confusion. :confused:
For this reason I do not like to use Canon or Sigma zooms, as I keep turning the zoom ring in the wrong direction. I zoom with muscle memory.
But I see you already have this situation, as your Tamron zoom turns in the opposite direction than your Canon zooms.

Find a used Nikon 18-140 and you will be all set for most shooting.
The 18-140 is a great GP lens. A little heavy, but as long as you are not weight sensitive, as I am in my old age, it is a great lens. Just like the similar Canon 18-135 EF-S lens.

Welcome to the Nikon world.

Now, to get you confused, the Canon and Nikon zoom rings turn in opposite direction. :eek:
IMHO, if you are a casual shooter, this really does not matter.
It is only when you shoot action/sports and you zoom by muscle memory that it can/will cause confusion. :confused:
For this reason I do not like to use Canon or Sigma zooms, as I keep turning the zoom ring in the wrong direction. I zoom with muscle memory.
But I see you already have this situation, as your Tamron zoom turns in the opposite direction than your Canon zooms.

Find a used Nikon 18-140 and you will be all set for most shooting.
The 18-140 is a great GP lens. A little heavy, but as long as you are not weight sensitive, as I am in my old age, it is a great lens. Just like the similar Canon 18-135 EF-S lens.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into that lens. I'm not weight sensitive. Lug the Tamzooka around all day. Not sure which direction I'm going right now.

Wow, that was a great find!

Locally, I can't get a D7100 body alone for anywhere near what you paid!

Wow, that was a great find!

Locally, I can't get a D7100 body alone for anywhere near what you paid!

Thanks. That's why I nabbed it.

A friend of mine has tried VERY hard to get me to switch to Nikon. When shopping for the 80D he specifically told me to find a used 7100 or 7200. Even used they were spendy. Would have spent what I had and no lenses. Opted to spend a little more and buy a new 80D and use the lenses already owned. Just couldn't justify it. If that makes sense.

I'm in a better place financially now, and at this price it was a good opportunity to see what the hype is about. He's stoked about it, and has offered to let me play with some of his lenses. That's a good friend.

Or so I thought....He's been teasing me with eagle shots for two days. Won't tell me where, but said he'd take me.......for 2 years. Jerk. Lol.

Reactions: AQS
Congratulations on the new D7100. Sounds like you made a reasonable offer and they accepted.

Most reactions

Back