Nikon flash help

govnamac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a flash for my D100. I was thinking about the SB80DX, or the SB600. What would you recommend. I'd like to keep it under $225, and have found places to get both of these for below that limit. What would you recommend/prefer?
Thanks

By the way, its just for personal use, nothing professional or anything, so I don't need top of the line here.

I have the SB 600 and would recommend this one. It is designed for the Nikon digital cameras and will also work on the film cameras if you happen to have any.

Between the two I would go with the SB600. Mainly because it is compatable with every camera Nikon makes. The SB-80DX is not compatable with any of the newer digital cameras like the D70, D50 and maybe even the D200 when it comes out. If you decide in the future to upgrade from the D100 you would still be able to use the SB600.

K

Thanks. I didn't know there were compatibility issues with it.

If your D100 is compatable with the new CLS (I think it's called) system incorporated with the SB600 & SB800 flash systems then definitely get the SB600. If (and it may not be) it isn't you may be better off with the SB-80DX.

I found with the F5 there is a problem with High Speed Flash sync between it and the SB-800. With the F5 you set it with the flash unit it'self. With the newer digitals you set it on the camera and the SB-600 & SB-800 is set via the camera, not on the flash it'self. I believe all the other features work fine except that. If you are not going to use the High Speed Flash then don't worry and get the SB-600.

For a more definitive answer you could check on the Nikonians Forum. They have sections specifically for flash as well as one on the D100.

www.nikonians.org

Most reactions

New Topics

Back