Nikon Picked 32 Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon Picked 32 Photographers to Promote a Camera. All 32 Were Men.

Interesting article.

“We’re here. We’re working. We exist,” Daniella Zalcman, a photojournalist based in London who created a database of female photographers, said in an interview. “The problem is the organization not making the adequate effort to include us.”

Though women are the majority in undergraduate and graduate journalism programs, few women work on assignment for the major international wire services, The Times reported in February.

To be fair it's not like Nikon ONLY included men. They invited women that didn't show and by their own admission they could have asked for more women. Also we only know of the story from on slanted view.

Just another tone-deaf company.

BTW, where's the "slant" in the NYT article?

To be fair it's not like Nikon ONLY included men. They invited women that didn't show and by their own admission they could have asked for more women. Also we only know of the story from on slanted view.
Good one :)

did they invite any transgendered photographers? or gender neutral?
why are we still insisting on classifying everything in the same archaic male or female role?

theres the slant...

Erm, what? Male/female are not "roles". Gender is not something the human society made up. That's given. Either you have one organ or the other. Of course, the way you feel about sexuality for instance can be different, but I don't think anyone said anything about sexuality, only that it's a bit weird Nikon managed to get only males for their advert, while there are so many female photographers out there. Just a little weird.

Last edited:
Erm, what? Male/female are not "roles". Gender is not something the human society made up. No one said anything about sexuality, only that it's a bit weird Nikon managed to get only males for their advert, while there are so many female photographers out there. Just a little weird.

actually....
human society has spent thousands of years pushing "roles" onto genders. Society did not "create" genders, but society did create how we identify by them. but thats neither here nor there, and certainly not relevant to the article.

my larger point on the "slant" was that a woman was complaining about an exclusionary oversight by Nikon, while at the same time excluding whole segments of the population herself. IE: those that do not identify with either male or female as a gender.

my larger point on the "slant" was that a woman was complaining about an exclusionary oversight by Nikon, while at the same time excluding whole segments of the population herself. IE: those that do not identify with either male or female as a gender.

Obfuscatory blather. Re-read the NYT article and get clear on what Nikon did and their lame attempt at self-exoneration. Since when was being female an "identity" issue?

Obfuscatory blather. Re-read the NYT article and get clear on what Nikon did and their lame attempt at self-exoneration. Since when was being female an "identity" issue?

oh, look who it is....
speaking of blather.
always right there when theres something against nikon, never around for anything else.

not once did I try, in any way, to exonerate Nikon.
in fact, what I did say was calling Nikon even more exclusionary...so im really not understanding where you are getting this "nikon defense" from based on my comments. maybe you should re-read what I said.
obviously you do not keep up on any current events excluding the downfall of Nikon.
gender has been an "identity" issue for some time now.

So the New York Times had a MAN write a story about a JAPANESE company IN ASIA, from the perspective of WESTERN sensibilities, about WOMEN not being included by the PATRIARCHAL JAPANESE company.

BTW: The WHITE balance is off.

So the New York Times had a MAN write a story about a JAPANESE company IN ASIA, from the perspective of WESTERN sensibilities, about WOMEN not being included by the PATRIARCHAL JAPANESE company.

BTW: The WHITE balance is off.
That's funny right there....

am I seeing racist "humor" here? i dont know if zombiesniper slipped the word "slant" in as a slur, but it sure looks like some people are subtly taking it that way

pretty sure racist slurs are not in keeping with tpf policy, nor with tpf's ongoing existence. tread carefully.

am I seeing racist "humor" here? i dont know if zombiesniper slipped the word "slant" in as a slur, but it sure looks like some people are subtly taking it that way

pretty sure racist slurs are not in keeping with tpf policy, nor with tpf's ongoing existence. tread carefully.

I believe he meant angled, skewed, or biased.
lets not derail things in that direction please.

No that was unintentional. Until you mentioned it I would not have thought of it this way and I do take offence to it being insinuated that I'm racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back