Nikon Question - Please Help!

snaremop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bigelectricbill.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I bought a D40, and I just can't figure out the difference between Program [P] Mode and Automatic Mode...

I know it's a noob question... but help please?

:)

well one thing....auto will pop up the flash all the time if it thinks you should use it. program lets you choose.
Also, you can spin your dial in program to get a bit more creative with "equivalents"

in auto mode, the "camera" makes all decisons, in program mode, one can make some adustments; however, it is really better (IMHO) to get out of both of those options and start using either shutter or aperture priotry mode which will let you take control of the outcome.

In the automatic mode, the camera chooses EVERYTHING for you, that is:

-Exposure
-ISO setting
-Aperture
-Colour balance (vividness, sharpness, etc)
-Whether or not to use the flash.
-And a ton of other stuff.

Program mode is a lot more creative than that. It chooses the essentials, like exposure & aperture. However, it lets you choose more technical settings like ISO sensitivity, colour settings, white balance, exposure compensation, flash compensation (how powerful the flash is) and some other settings.

Some of these are avaliable through the shooting menu (accessed by pressing the "+" button on the camera), but some of them are in the Shooting Options menu (get to it by pressing "MENU", then <left>, and navigating to the camera icon).

In Program, you can also use the command dial to adjust the aperture, and the exposure will quickly get adjusted for you. (however, if the aperture is already at its maximum [lowest F number], you won't be able to do anything).

Basically, Auto is exactly that. Point 'n shoot. Program can be that, but also can allow you much more creative control over your photos.

Think of Program mode as being Auto on Steroids. Does the same things, only better, and with greater creative control from you.

Well said mate.
Btw, the P and Auto is my ultimate saviour in many occasions from outright embarrasment. So please don't insult it :lol:.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back