Nikon users...

I've got my user manual open for the D300 and for this camera at least, it will work but since it is a non-cpu lens the focus is manual and will only work in Aperture Priority or Manual exposure modes. I am assumming that you are talking about the AI-S lens? Check your manual for compatible lenses

AI-S means they have a "silent" internal focus ring in the lens. It does not require the camera to focus it.

Yes, it will work on your D80 as well as non S.

Whoa! Whoa! They technically will work, yes, but you should know that the D80 won't meter them, and will only work in the M(manual) setting. You'll either have to use a handheld light meter, or just shoot/review until you get the right exposure. (that's what I do with my d70 and the ai lenses I own) If you're ok with that, then the older lenses are great. I have some I use with my FE and they just feel great compared to modern lenses. (non-pro ones anyway)

Just to make sure you know, AI and AI-S are older manual focus lenses.

guess i was halfway ignorant... Thanks for clarification bhop

Whoa! Whoa! They technically will work, yes, but you should know that the D80 won't meter them, and will only work in the M(manual) setting. You'll either have to use a handheld light meter, or just shoot/review until you get the right exposure. (that's what I do with my d70 and the ai lenses I own) If you're ok with that, then the older lenses are great. I have some I use with my FE and they just feel great compared to modern lenses. (non-pro ones anyway)

Just to make sure you know, AI and AI-S are older manual focus lenses.

very helpful, thanks........

Maybe some one could tell you if they will work in shutter priority. That might not give you Matrix metering but CF should still work.

Full manual is not a bad thing and can be quite liberating. ;)

If you look on e-bay you can usually find a Q 135mm Nikkor that has been AI'd for around $30. This will give the equivalent of a 200mm f2.8 lens. Not too bad a bang for the buck. (AI'd means that the lens has been milled to fit a newer camera)

Maybe some one could tell you if they will work in shutter priority. That might not give you Matrix metering but CF should still work.

Full manual is not a bad thing and can be quite liberating. ;)

If you look on e-bay you can usually find a Q 135mm Nikkor that has been AI'd for around $30. This will give the equivalent of a 200mm f2.8 lens. Not too bad a bang for the buck. (AI'd means that the lens has been milled to fit a newer camera)

They will not meter at all on a D80, matrix or no. Nor will they meter on a D40/D40x (although even non AI'd lenses will fit on a D40, which is quite cool).

Most reactions

Back