!!@@** Nikon

Lol999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.17minutes.co.uk
Just got back from town, nursing my new bag and got an e-mail from a camera repair guy I asked for a quote to fix one end of my screen spring back in place. He gave me directions over the phone as he couldn't find his tool. When I tried the whole damn thing came out! Now it's a prism off job and it's probably going to cost me £40-£50 quid to get it fixed!! NOT a happy bunny. Not like the old days when it cost me £1.50 for a new shutter spring for my Zenit E.:mrgreen:

"Fiddly bits..." Too true. But then there's the issue of having to trust others' skills. Wish I could do the fiddly bits myself. (Speaking from painful experience having an "expert" service turn a small problem into a fatal one!)

This reminds me of the time a few years ago when I sold someone an external CMOS battery for his motherboard. The clock in his computer reset every time he shut down so I told him he needed a new battery and at that time the only way was to install an "external" battery pack. I did it all the time and it never occured to me that it could be done wrong so he cae down, bought the battery and I gave him a 1 minute "this is how you do it" speech.

He called back about an hour later and told me he "blew up" his computer. I laughed it off and he asked to bring it down to the shop.

When he arrived I saw the case had literally been blown off the computer, screws ripped out, motherboard split in two.. he had installed the battery backwards and it had exploded.

Thank goodness he was ok, but that did teach me a lesson. Something that you do every day in your job may be easy to you but that does not mean its easy for someone else. Checking polarity was just something I knew without thinking about it and it never occured to me to mention it to him.

now that I have rambled on about my story I am sorry to hear about your incident with the fiddly bits springing loose. Maybe while he is in there he can give it a good cleaning or something as a way of making it right.

I'm going to see him tomorrow and leave it with him. he seems a good guy and has a good reputation. The spring locating was simplicity to do but he did give me the caveat that it could come out all together even if he tried it, which would mean the prism coming off. I know, where's the silicon sealant gun:mrgreen:

Good news, he's fixed the problem for a very reasonable price! What I like about this guy is he will give you a free quote and his opinion as to whether or not, financially, it's worth it. Of course if you still want it doing he will do it. I've posted his e-mail address in the repairs sticky.

Dweller said:
This reminds me of the time a few years ago when I sold someone an external CMOS battery for his motherboard. The clock in his computer reset every time he shut down so I told him he needed a new battery and at that time the only way was to install an "external" battery pack. I did it all the time and it never occured to me that it could be done wrong so he cae down, bought the battery and I gave him a 1 minute "this is how you do it" speech.

He called back about an hour later and told me he "blew up" his computer. I laughed it off and he asked to bring it down to the shop.

When he arrived I saw the case had literally been blown off the computer, screws ripped out, motherboard split in two.. he had installed the battery backwards and it had exploded.

Thank goodness he was ok, but that did teach me a lesson. Something that you do every day in your job may be easy to you but that does not mean its easy for someone else. Checking polarity was just something I knew without thinking about it and it never occured to me to mention it to him.

now that I have rambled on about my story I am sorry to hear about your incident with the fiddly bits springing loose. Maybe while he is in there he can give it a good cleaning or something as a way of making it right.

hahah, i did this once also.. not the blowing up thing, but giving instructions to someone to do this, though he only fried his board due to leaving the system on when he decided to do it =|

Most reactions

New Topics

Back