Noah C&C

I think shots one through four are pretty good examples of informal family photography. Cohesive. Straight forward. No gimmicks. Well-focused. Believable color saturation and palette. Age-appropriate in every way. I suppose a tiny bit of fill-flash,right on the camera could be used to give a bit of eye sparkle. Or not. A lot of people are split on the artistic/aesthetic merit of adding flash just for catchlights in open shade or on overcast days. I wish I had some photos of me outdoors playing at that age...alas...I do not...

Did u use any type of flash? It doesn't look like u did. And if u didn't use a flashthen how did u get the #2 so sharp? Any time I take pics of kids moving w out a flash the pic blurs horribly. Maybe my lens is way too slow. What was your camera setting on tha pic. I totally need to get that lens though. I've been looking at one for the past week or so.

This was shot with my D90 and 50mm F/1.8. Shutter was 1/1600th and ISO 200. You're correct in assuming I used no flash. I think it was because the shutter was so fast that I was able to get the sharpness I was hoping for. I of course adjusted the sharpness in LR in post-processing.

I suppose if I were to use my Sigma 70-200 2.8 I would have had to stop up to F/3.5-4.0 to get the sharpness I wanted. But then my shutter would have been slower and may have caused motion blur.

I think shots one through four are pretty good examples of informal family photography. Cohesive. Straight forward. No gimmicks. Well-focused. Believable color saturation and palette. Age-appropriate in every way. I suppose a tiny bit of fill-flash,right on the camera could be used to give a bit of eye sparkle. Or not. A lot of people are split on the artistic/aesthetic merit of adding flash just for catchlights in open shade or on overcast days. I wish I had some photos of me outdoors playing at that age...alas...I do not...

The only time I use flash is when I have the umbrella set up in a very specific shoot. I'm clueless as how to use my flash mounted to the camera while chasing a two year old lol.

In fact I'm shooting this little guys birthday party this weekend at 1:00 in the afternoon and was thinking about trying to use the SB-600 as fill flash. What are some basic steps in doing this? TTL, manual, spray and pray?? :lol::lol:

In fact I'm shooting this little guys birthday party this weekend at 1:00 in the afternoon and was thinking about trying to use the SB-600 as fill flash. What are some basic steps in doing this? TTL, manual, spray and pray?? :lol::lol:

If you want to try some fill-flash outdoors on less than 12 hours notice, set the ISO as low as it will go, set the flash to TTL mode, dial in Minus flash compensation to Minus 2.5 to 2.7 stops,somewhere in that range, and shoot in Programmed auto mode or Shutter Priority auto mode at your top flash synch speed, and use Matrix metering and the D90 ought to cover for you until you learn another way to do it. I am assuming, merely assuming, that the weather this weekend is going to be brightish and maybe even blue sky on the west coast. This amount of heavy Minus flash compensation will give you very little flash exposure, and the matrix meter of a D90 will allow most of the exposure to be rendered by available light.

Did u use any type of flash? It doesn't look like u did. And if u didn't use a flashthen how did u get the #2 so sharp? Any time I take pics of kids moving w out a flash the pic blurs horribly. Maybe my lens is way too slow. What was your camera setting on tha pic. I totally need to get that lens though. I've been looking at one for the past week or so.

This was shot with my D90 and 50mm F/1.8. Shutter was 1/1600th and ISO 200. You're correct in assuming I used no flash. I think it was because the shutter was so fast that I was able to get the sharpness I was hoping for. I of course adjusted the sharpness in LR in post-processing.

I suppose if I were to use my Sigma 70-200 2.8 I would have had to stop up to F/3.5-4.0 to get the sharpness I wanted. But then my shutter would have been slower and may have caused motion blur.

Tis why i need a new lens! Thank u!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back