Noob posting for some C&C

Onemarshboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted these on my 'introduction thread' but i thought i'd put them on here so i could get some advice / feedback on them. They're the first proper shots i've taken and tried to do some post production work on. thnx

3843666058_c1b0d860ae.jpg

3843665374_0231ce4db4.jpg

3842877009_25dbe929c7.jpg

3842875735_2df1a4bde6.jpg

3842876273_6ee2863e81.jpg

I really like them! I love the upside down ladybug in #1 and I really like #3. Athough, #3 might benefit if there wasn't SO much contrast between the houses and the sky.....
Welcome to tpf!!

thanks both for the feedback.

re: the lady bug, yeah i like this guy. Waited ages for him to move round on top of the flower but he wouldn't....funny how i now think it looks better like this! that's nature for you i guess! :lol:

In case you're interested - number 4 is at a place called 'St Michael's Mount, Cornwall, England'.

cheers

Do you live near st michals mount ? If so, the causeway early in the morning or at dusk would make a beautifull photo

Hi James, sadly not! Live in London and was just visiting Cornwall. You're right tho - wud make a great pic!

These are excellent! There is nothing "noobish" about them.

Well lets get some actual C&C going shall we?

1&2 both too centered and on one you could've pulled out a little more to make room for the rule of thirds.

2 i know its a bee but i looks to cluttered. and I think you used flash and if so its noticeable.

3 properly expose the buildings and go into PP and then compensate the sky.(below is what around a minute in LR gets you)

4 subject?

5 I would include the birds feet and what he is standing or sitting on.

3847248499_989bff916a_o.jpg

Hope this was helpful and dont be discouraged, this is how I give myself C&C and if the compisition isnt exactly how I want it I dont use it but by doing that and just haveing the best ones it seems that I get more and more keepers. Like I took around 500 pictures the other day, I only put two on my site. But in time you will get the hang of this, and I dont think people get motivated by hearing good job all the time because you think your doing everything right and wont strive to improve. This brings me to a quote Joe Mcnally (my favroite photographer) said that us photographers dont give ourselfs enough credit for our work( something along thoes lines) but Im just trying to say dont think there is only bad things about these (there great for some one just starting off and still learning) but my C&C could just be things you think about before you press the shutter.

Well thats it for me hope it helped!

guys, thanks for all the comments!! Its great to get some feedback on my shots.

Red, thanks for your honest C&C. In response:

1, I feel the same - i've cropped them both quite heavily but i find it difficult not to fall into that 'centered' trap. I find it difficult to find interesting angles!!

2, yes - the flash was on! mistake. It was the second shot i'd take with the camera - about 6 weeks ago. I put it in Macro mode and it auto flashed. Annoying.

3, thanks for the tip. I'm trying to learn to use Aperture at the mo, so hopefully i can get the same effect ur suggesting!

4, It's a Castle on a Mount in Cornwall, England. But mainly i was just playing with the manual focus and getting different effects.

5, point taken.

I suppose i've taken about 300 shots with the camera so far. Out of those these were the only 5 i've thought were worth spending a bit more time on and maybe posting. I'm sure i'll get more selective as I get more experienced. Your comments will definitely help! cheers

Are you new to photography or just new to shooting with a DSLR?

Which DSLR are you using?

#1 - It's an interesting shot but the petals are blown out. You may want to look at getting some reflectors to help take control of the light. I like the shallow DOF as it put background OOF very nicely but I think it could be desaturated a bit.

#2 - Very vibrant colors. The bee is starting to blend with the dark areas of the background. This is where watching your backgrounds is important. And using the flash is not entirely taboo if there isn't enough light to work with...but you do want to control the light if possible...diffuse, bounce card, etc. If this was the pop-up flash you can diffuse it by placing something translucent in front of it...a white plastic shopping bag would work.

#3 - Shot has potential. You as the artist have to decide what has more importance...the village or the sky and compose properly. If the village was the main subject, place the sky higher in the frame and have the village take up more of the frame. It's a nice tranquil shot.

#4 - Interesting "sand". Ours is just white/bone colored. There are some black sand and green sand beaches on the other islands though. Is that something in the background?

#5 - Nicely exposed shot...but yeah, the missing feet is bothersome.

Hi Samanax - so sorry, i completely missed this response from you!!

To answer.... i'm brand new to photography really (alright, its not the first time i've ever used a camera....but its the first time i've thought about taking 'photographs')

I'm using a Nikon D60.

1. Agreed. Thanks for the suggestion on the reflectors.
2. Yes it was the pop up flash - i'll have a go with the plastic bag idea. Although i tend not to use the flash much these days.
3. ...Extremely tranquil! Nice weeks holiday there :lol: I get what you're saying tho. i cropped and re-cropped several times to try and get it to my liking.
4. Yeah, a bit more interesting than your average sand! its a castle on a mount. Google, St Michaels Mount, if you want to actually see the place. I got bored of seeing people take shot at shot of the castle so i thought i'd try a different tact.
5. ...i was lazy, think i'd got the 55-200 on the camera and was sat having a beer, he landed on a wall and i just took a quick shot. should have taken the time to frame it better!! still, you live and learn!!

cheers

Your defiantly no noob. These shots are great!

well thanks Nolan. Very kind of you. I can tell you that its taken hundreds of duff shots in order to get a few worthy of keeping!! still....having great fun practicing! cheers

Most reactions

Back