Noobish beginner's pic (RC Subaru)

TamiyaGuy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, there. I recently inherited a Nikon F301 SLR camera, and thought I'd post this experimental pic of an RC Subaru Impreza. I didn't use a flash as I wanted the effect of the lights I put on it (home-made :D). Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly the effect I was looking for, but I think it looks alright nonetheless. Feel free to edit this as much as you want.

Mildly enhanced, cropped etc. pic:
zt7jgn.jpg

Bare & bones, 800 * 530 res pic:
k53ig0.jpg

I would also like to issue this as a warning to you: Expect to see a ton of other terrible starter photos and questions from me. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! Editing was done very simply with HP Photosmart.

I like the first one...I would just like to see a larger DOF, so more of the cars detail would get picked up, and with that it would require a smaller aperture, with a longer exposure so the headlights might show more of star effect. At a bit more away from the wall to prevent the shadow. Just a thought. I'm a noob also so remember the source.

The "star" effect was exactly what I was wanting. I locked the exposure on the shadow of the car, but that clearly wasn't enough to get it. I don't even know if it would have worked that well; the lights are LEDs, and although they are "super-bright", they might still not have worked. Thing is, the exposure was still something stupid like 1/8-1/4 of a second, so would you recommend 1/2?

Also, as I am a TOTAL noob, does DOF mean Depth of Field? So more is in focus? Yeah, I was just testing out the Aperture priority mode, and I never knew it was so sensitive.

Thanks for the tips, though. I might even set it up again at 1/2 exposure (when my neck stops hurting :confused:)

Just a quick question: I think I set it up at F4 on my Sirius zoom lens. What would you recommend? Something like F8 or even F11? And if the aperture is that small, what should I lock the exposure on? A pitch black room? (for a 1 second shutter release). I'm really sorry I am such a noob at this. I hope you can make some sense out of what I'm trying to say XD. thanks again.

I prefer the second shot over your first; it just seems right in my mind...

JMHO.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.

You'll just need to mess around with it and see what works. Have camera sitting still and use a timer or remote shutter release. F15 or higher with a long exposure...10 or more seconds..the room may need to be darker...I'm not sure you just need to take lots of pictures and see what works for you.

Well, I don't have a remote control, unfortunately, but I'll try F16 (pretty near) for a while. Thing is, 10 seconds seems like a ludicrously long time. Would such a long exposure be for a pretty much pitch-black room with the lights coming out unbelievably bright?

Obviously, I want to waste as little film as possible, but I'll try your suggestions first. F16, darker room, 10 sec shutter release. Got it. Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back