normal lens?

Jim C.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3100 with the "kit" lens of 18 to 55 I have a 55 to 200 lens also. I have no problems with these lenses. I think they are both good quality and are sharp. The 18 to 55 is f3.5 t0 f5.6. and the 55 to 200 is f4.0 resulting in a pretty sharp depth of field. Once in a while I want a bokeh effect and once in a while I want a true macro. The close up effect is good but not a true macro.
I am thinking, only thinking at this time that a good complement lens for me would a be a normal lens of say 35 mm 1.8 with macro.
Any thoughts?

The 35 1.8 is a fine lens.

The 35mm 1.8 is a great lens and everyone with a Nikon DX should have one in their bag.

Once in a while I want a bokeh effect and once in a while I want a true macro.

I am thinking, only thinking at this time that a good complement lens for me would a be a normal lens of say 35 mm 1.8 with macro.

Any thoughts?
It is easier to get that blur with a longer lens, and a 35mm might be too short for macro.

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend the 105 macro, but in your case, it might fill your need for both types of shooting that you mentioned.

I own a 35mm macro, Tokina very nice little lens.
However whilst its a very capable lens its focusing is slower than a regular 35mm lens and its macro, whilst getting all the way to 1:1 magnification, is not anywhere near as practical as a 60mm lens or longer. A 35mm lens at 1:1 you REALLY are right on top of the subject. This makes it tricky because you will cause shadowing (camera and lens and you) without really having much room to avoid it. It also gives you very little room to get lighting gear in.

If you want macro then a 105mm would be far superior for doing macro and then giving you a longer lens for some portrait work.

As far as I know, there exists no 35 mm f/1.8 macro for Nikon. Their 35 mm f/1.8 DX is however a really nice lens; small, inexpensive, light, fast and sharp.

And for macro you could buy some extension tubes, and try them with your existing lenses. Or if you want a separate lens, the Nikon 40 mm f/2.8 DX Macro seems like a nice buy.

Last edited:
You have the normal prime range covered with your current zooms, so a 35mm or even a 50mm would be redundant although they would be faster. You don't want macros at that short a focal length (I don't know anyone who makes them that short anyway) as you will have to get too close to your subject sometimes blocking the light. If you truly want to get into macro photography then look at a longer length macro lens like the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 or Sigma 105mm f/2.8 or the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 micro. They can also be used as excellent portrait lenses.

If you are not sure then rent first. When you are ready, look at used. I have had very good luck with both Adorama.com and KEH.com where you can save somewhere between 20% and 50%. Just make sure you understand their rating systems and return policies.

The focal lengths may be redundant, but their rendering qualities are not.

I agree with the assessment of the 105mm Micro. It is a superior lens and will provide great images. I think Nikon also had a 60mm Micro but not positive about that.

2012DallasBlooms - geenfoto
105mm Nikon Micro
IOS 200
f 8
1/125 sec
Handheld

Nikon makes an 85mm DX macro, which is never been very popular. I myself like a macro lens up from 90 to 180 mm in length..

Nikon makes a 40 mm which they call a macro, but since the lens is so short, there is not much magnification, and the 40 mm is more a social photography lens than lens it is a bug and butterfly macro lens.

To prevent yourself from being 1.5 to 3 in from whatever you are photographing it is helpful to have a macro lens up from 90 to 105 mm or longer. Sigma has made some very fine long macro lenses, first a 180 F / 3.5 and then some years later a 150mm f / 2.8.

To make it the most compatible with your camera, your lens should have a built-in focusing motor of the AF-s type if it is a Nikon or of the HSM type if it is a third-party lens.

I had the 35mm f/1.8 and it was tac sharp. Wide open it had descent bokeh but as for macro, it falls short. Later I bit the bullet and bought a 105 mm f/2.8 micro nikkor. Beautiful bokeh and great macro.

Most reactions

Back