bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...I'm back on the road again, this time traveling much of the west coast heading up from central Florida. I am spending a week in Glacier (and Banff), a week in the San Juan Islands, a week on the Oregon Coast then down to Yosemite, down to San Filipe, Baja California, Mexico, then up to Hurricane, UT to do Zion and Bryce for a week...later into Colorado for Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, and Grand Escalante and then down to Mesa Verde, and down to White Sands, then into San Antonio and lastly, a leisurely excursion to Atlanta, before heading home. If you see my rig on the road, or are in any of these areas, give me a PM holler or just honk as you pass by.

It's a Winnebago, Itasca Cambria 30J towing a Black Honda HRV with Florida tags.

my-rig-in-the-badlands 3.jpg

trip map for cambr.jpg

trip map for cambr 2.jpg

I have taken 49 days paid vacation once, and 56 days paid vacation once. And done something very similar trip wise. Company told me not to do it again after the first time. So, I did it 1 week longer the second time. :345: The way my schedule is, I can easily take a month off each year paid vacation. But of course that burns up all vacation for a year. My normal schedule is 2 weeks at work and 1 week off. So if I mix a week off, 2 weeks vacation, then a normal week off. That's 28 days paid leave. :allteeth: To do the 49 and 56 days I worked and "banked" extra days. And mixed in normal weeks off in between.

First trip I spent 2 weeks in Zion at the camp ground (Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab). Had a Jeep with me and did quite a few excursions in it. The first trip I did several Jeep Jamborees was original reason for the trip. I did hike / wade up the Virgin river in Zion with my camera gear. Talking about being nervous. :aiwebs_016: This was well before these new camera / lens covers that are supposedly water tight. 49 days living out of just a Jeep Wrangler and a tent. Not even a small trailer. Don't think I could have packed another square inch of anything else in it. Did do a hotel several times just to get a good cleaning done. Paid Quarter showers just don't cut it sometimes.

Second trip was vacation / honeymoon. Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Watterton, Wind Cave, Custer, Crazyhorse, Rushmore, Devils Tower, and Bad Lands. All sorts of camera gear with me that time. MF, 35mm film, 35mm pano camera, digitals. Did this with a 4 door full sized truck and a popup camper. More room and I guess some luxuries. Nothing near like a Class A rig though.

I'm retired so time off is all the time and I've spent more time sleeping on lumpy ground while trying to avoid slithering things or things with stingers to last several lifetimes..hence the big rig. I do like my creature comforts and I know for sure who slept in my bed the night before. Cheers!

Indeed, Lew, it's on my itinerary. Plan to leave White Sands, do the Roswell trip way then down to Carlsbad. I haven't been there in over 50 years. Be fun to see it again.

Indeed, Lew, it's on my itinerary. Plan to leave White Sands, do the Roswell trip way then down to Carlsbad. I haven't been there in over 50 years. Be fun to see it again.

You can skip the Alien Jerky down in Roswell. :aiwebs_016: It's really just Beef. :biglaugh:

Looks great. Years ago my family did a trip from LA to Vegas then SF and back down the coast road to LA. That was a superb trip so I'm sure this one will be loads of fun!

Nice trip you have planned. We love the RV lifestyle, being able to stop for as long as we like when we see something we like or move on. Looking at your route it appears you'll be coming through our town, Gadsden, Al. FYI we have two decent campgrounds. One is owned by the city, Noccallula Park, next to the largest waterfall within a city in the US. With all the rain lately it's really quite spectacular. They also have a park, with a frontier village, and lots of flowers. The second park is a privately owned park next to the river. It's fairly nice, but seems a little overpriced for the amenities.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back