Not that I care, but how do the "Thanks" get dimished?

What really happened here is abraxas went on a thankyou campaign and it got kinda nuts with people thanking everyone and the admins and mods got annoyed and whacked a lot of people's thank yous (I had like 23... I think abraxas had like 300) :lol: They also restricted it down so you can only do 3 thanks a day.

That's what you got out of it? :biglaugh:

A couple items;

1. I'm not responsible for the willful stupidity of the site administration and their lack of understanding the art. This idiotic rating 'gizmo' promotes mediocrity and TPF has already suffered for it.

2. What I did was attempt, through parody, to demonstate how benignly ignorant this, "feature" truly is. The result was predictable that gossips and those unwilling to better themselves by means of effort would have a field day with what I was doing.

-

What really happened here is abraxas went on a thankyou campaign and it got kinda nuts with people thanking everyone and the admins and mods got annoyed and whacked a lot of people's thank yous (I had like 23... I think abraxas had like 300) :lol: They also restricted it down so you can only do 3 thanks a day.

Yes, but that happened last week --- or before, my thanks since then were up to 5 and have been cut back to three. I had 5 yesterday! I haven't even touched the thank you button so I don't understand why admin would take 2 of them away. :confused: Stupid feature anyway, but still --

Yes, but that happened last week --- or before, my thanks since then were up to 5 and have been cut back to three. I had 5 yesterday! I haven't even touched the thank you button so I don't understand why admin would take 2 of them away. :confused: Stupid feature anyway, but still --

Maybe the site-police are going through peoples Thankses and making sure that they are truly deserved. God knows, we can't have people thanking by themselves!

I thank, therefore I am. :er:

That was my point. This occured after the initial nuking.

.... we can't have people thanking by themselves!

I thank, therefore I am. :er:
There are a few activities that I carry out by myself, but th-anking myself isn't one of them. :lol:

Maybe the site-police are going through peoples Thankses and making sure that they are truly deserved. God knows, we can't have people thanking by themselves!

You say that like it a bad thing - a moderated thanking/reputation/medals/whatever system would give more validity to the thanks/points etc... than just wanten thanks being handed out.

As for this recent dropping of thanks I have no idea - could be a site hicup - could be deleted threads/posts (anyone been thanking the adbots recently? ;))

You say that like it a bad thing - a moderated thanking/reputation/medals/whatever system would give more validity to the thanks/points etc... than just wanten thanks being handed out.

Jawohl!

That's what you got out of it? :biglaugh:

A couple items;

1. I'm not responsible for the willful stupidity of the site administration and their lack of understanding the art. This idiotic rating 'gizmo' promotes mediocrity and TPF has already suffered for it.

2. What I did was attempt, through parody, to demonstate how benignly ignorant this, "feature" truly is. The result was predictable that gossips and those unwilling to better themselves by means of effort would have a field day with what I was doing.

-

Uh, no, I got that. I'd have to be pretty damned dim to have missed it. It wasn't subtle. :lol:

I was more summarizing the actions and end result rather than speak to your particular agenda or motivations.

I'm not disagreeing, btw... I think the thank-you's are silly. It's one of those "oh yeah, good idea" things that quickly proves out to not be that great of an idea.

Interestingly and surprisingly, I think the mods alterations on it have succeeded in making it a little less silly.

You know I read an article once that had basically worked out that the post counts and reputations (thumbs up/down) had essentially the same effect as each other, which was to grant assumed credibility to the poster, regardless of whether or not there was any substance to that credibility.... and what's more was that the counts went up in a linear relationship with each other (more posts, more thumbs up)... so, really, you should be railing against even having post counts displayed.

However, another interesting side effect is that people provably respond to these kinds of metrics by wanting to post more, which encourages people to share and contribute more... obviously without such contributions forums wouldn't exist. So, on some level you should be deeply excited about these kinds of things, since the forum benefits.

:mrgreen:

Damn the admins for trying something new. I mean, seriously, I think they should sit back and let the forum roll as it does. Really.

now your speaking in tongues

It's dangerous to allow people to thank for themselves. Only State sanctioned thanking must be allowed, or we will have an Anarchy of the Polite.

Relatedly, I find it funny that the site owners only allow three thanks per day -- in essence saying that the forum will only produce three useful posts a day. That's quite an expectation! :)

Are we only allowed 2 a day now?

Fu**ing kids. Ruined a perfectly good TPF with their stupid ass insistance on a thank you "button."

didn't you used to have like 36 thanks yous. Must be if you start getting to many someone is like " well I better take some away.

I think they are trying to prove that the thanks you won't be a popularity contest by secretly taking them away.;)

Last edited:
Capture-thanks.jpg

edit
Now it's there... I wonder why that happened...

Somehow, the button must have not loaded the first time. I've never had that happen before though...odd that it was only on both of Stella's posts.

Ha ha haa!! :D Yeah...now Stella's is back....but mine is gone!! :( There's a conspiracy here somewhere!!! LOL!! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back