**NSWF** Is this photo too 'spring break-ish / girls gone wild' for pro use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scatterbrained - I agree mate, however that gets us into another debate about intension and whither a piece of art could be interpreted in a way that the artists doesn't mean. I'm also having a debate with along similar lines with one of my friends in "real life" which means I need to verbalize my opinions and solidify my reasoning. So this kind of thing helps me think these things out.

I just think that there may be more to this photo than first impressions and I think it has been dismissed a bit to easily after I saw it.

I've never been one to try and sell myself on a photo. For me if I have to work overtime to like a photo it is not for me. I prefer love at first sight. My photo was done in 2 or 3 blinks of the eye. So not much time trying to inject anything special I wanted to say into it. It is just a moment in time, in Ohio, frozen.

So here's what I see...

I see a picture that sort of flips off society in a few ways. Heavy woman, breasts exposed, motorcycles, lots of (presumably) bikers in the background, stormy skies, RVs, etc. There's no subtlety to any of that, however. You don't HAVE to be subtle in your images, but in my experience the subtle ones are those that keep the viewer looking and thinking. As Amolitor said... this is pretty much all out there. Yup, we got it. Not a lot to ponder.

I see a picture that has some more extreme processing. In my experience extreme processing is used most often when the image doesn't have enough to stand on and needs something else to give it an edge. This picture falls into that category, IMO, so the extreme processing just seems to fit the profile.

I see a picture with a title that credits someone else's style "'Princess of Ross County...in the Style of Cartier-Bresson's Rue Mouffetard Paris 1954'". So right in the title you're saying that you're trying to copy someone else. I suppose it's fine to copy what someone else has done but it always strikes me as very thin artistically, and a lot of times people don't have nearly the success of implementation.

Finally, I see someone arguing with people's opinion on their work. You asked for an opinion. You got some. I don't think many were complimentary. If you're inclined to disagree with people, then I've found generally that good artists keep their disagreements to themselves. Artists on weak footings are the ones that argue.

BTW, I looked through some of your other stuff.

My overall reaction was "sideshow". Not saying that's bad, necessarily. Some of them are pretty interesting. I don't think this one is among your better ones. Not even close.

I'd add that if you Google boobs and 4 wheeler none on the first few pages also have the context that is in this shot. In fact I'd say that this image is not about boobs, or the quad. Its about how women are seen in our lives. And that's us that shape and define that, to suggest that there is not a story behind this pic is like saying that HB's pic is just another kid in the street. The real question is does it get people's back up because of the reference to HB (and you can't compare your photos with the recognised masters), or because its about a story we don't want to talk about.

What I also like about the photo is the surpirse that the mom (I guess) is showing. The girl had to be coaxed to display her treasures. She was not an attention whore. The attention whores were topless (or nude.) The ATV meant nothing to me, just there.

My overall reaction was "sideshow". Not saying that's bad, necessarily. Some of them are pretty interesting. I don't think this one is among your better ones. Not even close.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I wish more would reply like this.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I wish more would reply like this.

Did you see my other reply?

There's a hint of Arbus here, if anything.

So here's what I see...

I see a picture that sort of flips off society in a few ways. Heavy woman, breasts exposed, motorcycles, lots of (presumably) bikers in the background, stormy skies, RVs, etc. There's no subtlety to any of that, however. You don't HAVE to be subtle in your images, but in my experience the subtle ones are those that keep the viewer looking and thinking. As Amolitor said... this is pretty much all out there. Yup, we got it. Not a lot to ponder.

I see a picture that has some more extreme processing. In my experience extreme processing is used most often when the image doesn't have enough to stand on and needs something else to give it an edge. This picture falls into that category, IMO, so the extreme processing just seems to fit the profile.

I see a picture with a title that credits someone else's style "'Princess of Ross County...in the Style of Cartier-Bresson's Rue Mouffetard Paris 1954'". So right in the title you're saying that you're trying to copy someone else. I suppose it's fine to copy what someone else has done but it always strikes me as very thin artistically, and a lot of times people don't have nearly the success of implementation.

Finally, I see someone arguing with people's opinion on their work. You asked for an opinion. You got some. I don't think many were complimentary. If you're inclined to disagree with people, then I've found generally that good artists keep their disagreements to themselves. Artists on weak footings are the ones that argue.

Thanks for the detailed rundown. I really appreciate it.

I didn't shoot it to copy anyone. That was just how it came out. I would have preferred to get her feet in. But maybe it works better with the feet cut. I don't know until seeing it. So the HCB homage was just an afterthought and not preplanned. Just a nod to the old master...just 2012 style...and in my style.

But copying / borrowing from other artists has a long, long tradition. from the old days up to POP art and even 2013. So I am not concerned with that area even if I was copying. Many of the greats copied their admired predecessors work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ptua5BEAt...-homage-to-munkacsi-guys-jumping-umbrella.jpg

http://partnouveau.com/wp-content/u...he-puddle-jumper-1934-lady-with-umbrella.jpeg

We all copy one another to some extent, but we hope to inject our own style to the picture. Look at all the 'star trails' and 'fog and mist' shots the heavy ND filter devotees put their pride in. Very few remarkable or iconic shots come out of it. But they still do it. They got to shoot something...so why not that.

As far as arguing? If you read my replies, I wont sell anyone on my work. If they don't like it fine. You know the saying about trying to please everyone and all the time...impossible. The name question was a big eye opener to me. I thought it would be obvious, but it was not. If someone has the wrong idea I will give them some more info to help them decide.

Last edited:
What startles me, OP, is that you believe that museums would want your work.
Some libraries take virtually anything that it doesn't cost them too much to acquisition - but museums?

Some libraries take virtually anything that it doesn't cost them too much to acquisition - but museums?

If the photographer themselves does not believe their work is good, they need to be doing something different. You are welcome to your opinion, we just differ on the subject. You can't argue taste.

My work is as good as any work the museums contain. I'm an not claiming my work is best, just that some of it is museum worthy. If you don't believe that to be the case...fine. As I said, it is not my job to sell you a thing. And the the photo in question is not representative of all my work. It is just one out of many.

As far as libraries, not so. The rare book library special collections are not that easy to get into. I've had a 80% to 85% failure rate with them. But it is much easier getting into a rare book library than a big museum.

I don't see anything special about this image to be honest. I think it would tarnish a portfolio.

My work is as good as any work the museums contain.
I'm an not claiming my work is best, just that some of it is museum worthy.

As far as libraries, not so. The rare book library special collections are not that easy to get into. I've had a 80% to 85% failure rate with them. But it is much easier getting into a rare book library than a big museum.

It is the bolded statement above that gives me pause.

Beyond a book being 'rare', a rare book library wants to know that it is taking up its time, space and treatment with a book that is also worth preserving.

And actually, we can argue taste, Latin proverb notwithstanding.

So here's what I see...

Thanks for the detailed rundown. I really appreciate it.

I didn't shoot it to copy anyone. That was just how it came out. I would have preferred to get her feet in. But maybe it works better with the feet cut. I don't know until seeing it. So the HCB homage was just an afterthought and not preplanned. Just a nod to the old master...just 2012 style...and in my style.

But copying / borrowing from other artists has a long, long tradition. from the old days up to POP art and even 2013. So I am not concerned with that area even if I was copying. Many of the greats copied their admired predecessors work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ptua5BEAt...-homage-to-munkacsi-guys-jumping-umbrella.jpg

http://partnouveau.com/wp-content/u...he-puddle-jumper-1934-lady-with-umbrella.jpeg

We all copy one another to some extent, but we hope to inject our own style to the picture. Look at all the 'star trails' and 'fog and mist' shots the heavy ND filter devotees put their pride in. Very few remarkable or iconic shots come out of it. But they still do it. They got to shoot something...so why not that.

As far as arguing? If you read my replies, I wont sell anyone on my work. If they don't like it fine. You know the saying about trying to please everyone and all the time...impossible. The name question was a big eye opener to me. I thought it would be obvious, but it was not. If someone has the wrong idea I will give them some more info to help them decide.

I don't copy anyone to any extent, at least not consciously. I couldn't name more than maybe one or two other photographers, let alone tell you what their work is like. It would be naïve to suggest I wasn't influenced by other people's work as just seeing something can have an influence, but my work is as much my own as it can be.

Anyway... I'll get off this ride now because it's going around in circles. Good luck to you.

Ummmm, photo no good. Photo go to trash bin.

Last edited:
Ummmm, photo no good. Photo go to trash bin. Girls go to gym.

Hey nothing wrong with a little extra meat on the bone.

That being said I worry about her self esteem to be flashing the twins for the approval of strange bikers. Me thinks she probably doesn't have a good relationship with her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back