Nude Photography: Need Professional Tips

maxjewels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I have been interested in nude photography for a while, but until now had never acquired the courage to do it.

But yesterday I talked with some female friends and they agreed to make some shots. Bue, even though I consider myself a good photographer, I am doubtful as of how to manage the shoot.

Any recommendations?

*The shoot is going to be in my house and we will have adequate lighting and space. I have a Nikon D200 with this lenses: 17-50mm, 70-200mm and 50mm f/1.8.

Remember.... it takes a while for the "lines" on the skin caused by tight fitted clothing (for example bras) to disappear. Make sure they have robes to relax in for a little while to allow the skin to recover. Talk a little during that time... walk through the shoot so to "Break the ice" and keep things flowing and comfortable.

If you have any assistants, make sure they are comfortable with them.

So I have been interested in nude photography for a while, but until now had never acquired the courage to do it.

But yesterday I talked with some female friends and they agreed to make some shots. Bue, even though I consider myself a good photographer, I am doubtful as of how to manage the shoot.

Any recommendations?

*The shoot is going to be in my house and we will have adequate lighting and space. I have a Nikon D200 with this lenses: 17-50mm, 70-200mm and 50mm f/1.8.

Begin by telling them to take their clothes off.

Hi MaX, and welcome to the forum. This is not my type of shoot, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum anyway.

Unless your models are REALLY comfortable with you, I would suggest shooting with a longer focal length. Otherwise it could creep them out that you are all up on them.... but like I said, it all depends on how well they know you and you know them. :)

Good luck!

Use the 70-200, use lots of kickers/rim light, and CONSTANTLY talk and explain what you're doing, why this light is going here, why you're on one knee, etc.. It helps break the ice. And don't be afraid to tell them you're nervous.

Remember.... it takes a while for the "lines" on the skin caused by tight fitted clothing (for example bras) to disappear. Make sure they have robes to relax in for a little while to allow the skin to recover.

true!

I have hardly done any nude, but that can be a problem! It is best if they wear quite lose underwear hours before the shoot already. some girls are into crazy-tight wear which leaves marks for hours!

And I'd also suggest 50mm upwards ... so you all feel comfortable by keeping some distance ;)

Usayit has it right. Infact u may ask the ladies to not wear a bra (or underwear) inroute to the shoot. Make them comfortable aspossible giving them private area to change, robes ect.... And mentioned, keep any assitance professional. Are you wanting this for portfolio work or posting on the Web? Just hoping you know and understand the 2257 laws. Good luck!

Unless your models are REALLY comfortable with you, I would suggest shooting with a longer focal length.

I don't agree.

Use focal length to compress and expand distances, space, and composition. You are in a studio environment and working distance can be compromised. In the case of nude photography, I found the opposite to be true. Talk them through it... keep them comfortable... assure them that all looks wonderful and they look beautiful. "baby them through the process. You can't comfort and lead them if your screaming from across the room. Medium working distances = intimate working relationship between model and photographer. Long working distance = cold distant.. model feels alone... as if you are spying on them from a distance.

Think of it as a tango between you and the model. Show them their space and your space. Don't invade but don't keep your space so far apart that the intimacy between the two "dancers" are lost.

Think about it... what makes you more uncomfortable. Someone pointing a big lens at you (you think they are focusing on your nose or something) or someone pointing a 50mm f1.4 lens at you.....

Oh yeh... the studio should be on the warmer side.. hehehe lol Don't want to shoot a model with goose-bumps or the shivers.... lol

oh yeh... for the shy ones... start with somewhat clothed shots.. and work your way from there. Helps introduce the idea of being nude slowly. Build their confidence while their cloths are on. Perhaps take some test shots while still in the robe.

BTW.. if I wasn't clear before.... If you are a male, you probably should have a female assistant or at least a female friend or something. It helps calm the air and legally... you just never know what to expect..

Man... its been a long time... it was fun shoot.. I miss those days. The only nudes I do now are of my 1 year old playing in the water during bath tiime for the grandparents to see.

I agree. Use a shorter focal length and get in close. You want to maximize depth, not flatten it.

Start with a basic light setup and run off some shots, just to get things going...you probably won't keep them. Then spend a good amount of time moving your lights around and just watching very carefully to see how the light is falling and what shadows it's casting. Remember that when half the figure is in shadow the body's dimensional qualities from the light are strongest. This can work against you if you model is not thin.

A few random tips:
-Lighting breasts from the side tends to make them look fuller and rounder.
-Avoid taking any dead-on shots unless you're going for a bare-all kind of portrait.
-Body parts closest to the camera will appear largest in the shot. Be especially careful of this with thighs, and with upper-arms.

What do you have for lighting? Do you have an idea of the type & style of shots that you are going for? It would really help to have a plan going in, and be prepared to create the light that will be needed.

A Playboy shoot, for example, might have 20 to 30 different lights, reflectors & modifiers all used for one shot. On the other hand, some of the best nudes I've seen, have been lit with only window light.

A Playboy shoot, for example, might have 20 to 30 different lights, reflectors & modifiers all used for one shot.

That is why they often look so synthetic and unreal ... at least to me.

I vaguely remember those shoots looking more synthetic now more than yesteryears. I think there's a lot more photoshop'ing involved for todays shoots.

I swear those models will start "glowing" after being barraged with 20-30 lights after the shoot. heheh lol.

I saw an interview with Heff...he insisted that they don't do any 'air brushing' or other post production work like that. I call B.S. on that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back