Status
Not open for further replies.

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello ppl ..

I've found myself somewhat obsessed with adding (or not removing and/or strengthening) the vignette ... for example here:

by ntz on ThePhotoForum: Film & Digital Photography Forum

also I didn't remove by local adjustment that dark area by right edge in the middle ..

my question is: is it good with vignette or is it rather ugly ?? I like it but I'd like to hear what others think about it .. vignette seems that it just fits here nicely to the mood of the photo, but well, maybe it's all only in my head ... omg, and those voices too :D

thanks much for your feedback ..

regards, dan

Just my personal view, but I think if you can 'see' the vignette, it's too much.

A subtle fall off in light towards the edges can help the eye focus on the subject, but that's normally in portrait photography. But I think an obvious dark shade is distracting, and also does not suit images that do not have a central focal point, such as landscapes, where it tends to look more like a lens error.

Reactions: ntz
Sorry in your image, had I not know what it was I would have thought you had your thumb or something over the top left corner.
But if it works for you go for it we all have our own likes dislikes

here's version with mitigated vignette effect and also with local adjustment over the dark area by the right edge in the middle

DSC_0160-RT-local_adj-2.jpg

I don't think vignetting works very well on landscape photography. There is always an exception.

As alluded to, if it's not overdone its fine imo.

Personally, I don't think vignette is needed, I think it just stands out in that left corner like a smudge and does nothing to improve the pic. I think a little more vibrancy on the color would help it more, it appears a little dull to me but maybe that's because it was overcast.

Reactions: ntz
Personally, I don't think vignette is needed, I think it just stands out in that left corner like a smudge and does nothing to improve the pic. I think a little more vibrancy on the color would help it more, it appears a little dull to me but maybe that's because it was overcast.

actually the colours in here are as I wanted them .. I was playing with HSV equalizer and I was finally very satisfied with them ... which doesn't happen with every photo, definitely .. my skill is my biggest limitation

Spam Post above reported - from labeldroomSop.

All Op's Posts notified to Mods

I thought you were talking about the OP, took me a second to realize the spam had been deleted.:allteeth:

@ntz the rule of thumb I use on vignettes is based on the image and the amount of feathering. The more the feathering the more the image can tolerate darkening at the edges. Less feathering, less darkening.

Last edited:
i've been on the fence with this one. the vignette doesn't belong. but without it the image is unbalanced. the trees on the on the right are heavy, and the focal point is the white bird, which is also on the right. the darkened left side balances the whole thing, but it also bugs me because it shouldn't be there.

Vignetting can be effective in landscapes, but it is important to be subtle. Here your vignette creates problems because the empty sky becomes obviously darkened in the upper left as noted in other comments. In your image let's say you want to bring our attention to the bird. You can do that by painting in light around that area, or making a small type of vignetting, or "radial spot" around the bird. Use the radial brush in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). Here I also added a curves adjustment layer to darken the entire image then with a black brush paint over the bird area to bring back the light created by the adjustment brush.
However, in your image the bird is so small, we are really not sure if it is a bird at all! It might be a white buoy...I cannot really tell. Therefore you might not want to bring extra attention to it making your vignette unnecessary in this image. In short, vignetting is used to bring attention or more subtle light to an area of the image you want to emphasize or draw our eye towards.

For example, in a landscape of a waterfall you might want to bring more light onto the falls. (Dodging and burning is essentially a type of vignetting)

Attachments

• radial spot.jpg
    radial spot.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back