Old Sigma/Tamron/etc. 70-210 f/2.8 APOs - a real possibility for cheap sports lens?

reg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are several of these out there, and they tend to sell for roughly the same price, same with most 28-80s by third parties, 135mm 2.8s, etc. etc. They just tend to run about the same price.

One particular one I'm looking at is on keh, a Sigma APO 70-210 2.8 for Canon EOS. EX condition for $275.00. AF might be kinda slow, but maybe a Nikon mount lens, w/ in-body focusing might make a difference or if it doesn't you can prefocus and anticipate the focus to some amount.

Even if its focus is not so hot, is an older 70-210 2.8 a possibility for a cheap, constant 2.8, beginner's sports lens?

Last edited:
I would say it would definitely do the job and when you out grow it you can upgrade

Bump I want to lean more!!!!
Does anyone have any test shots?
Anyone that has used it?

I think it depends on what sports you're shooting. If it's something like cycling, or motorsports, where your subjects movements are pretty predictable, you can probably get away with it. If it's a ball sport (football, soccer, etc.) there will be people changing directions quickly and often and the focus speed could really bother you.

I don't have a long af-s lens myself (yet), so I have been using my Sigma 70-300 apo, slooooooooowww focusing lens for motorsports and it can be really annoying sometimes.

That said, photographers got away without internal focus for decades and still managed to do good sports photography.

I have a older tamron 70-210 f2.8 for my nikon and love it! Optically I don't think modern lenses are much better... the only gripe I may have is the focus, it's a lot of heavy glass to move around--an afs lens would surely focus faster.

BUT for $325, there's no beating it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back