One man's art is another man's WTF????

Not liking the art is one thing, scoffing that tax dollars paid for it is not cool.
Seeing as I helped pay for it, I can be as critical of how my money is spent as I want to be.

This is terrible "art", and whatever you and I paid for it was way too much.

I like good art, and I have gladly paid for good art, so thinking negatively of my criticism is unfounded.

I am happy to criticize the "artist" and the committee that commissioned this POS. When public art committees become better educated, they will not waste your and my money on junk like this. The cultural tourists will still have art to look at, it will just be better art, therefore serving to educate the tourists as well. :icon_biggrin:

When normal people get in icy cold water they turn blue, when the blue man group gets in icy water... well see for yourselves.

I'd leave the original crop and just remove the bow of the boat.

That's pretty cool, and I agree it might have been better with more variety of figures (made me think blue man group too!) in representing the theme. But then maybe it would have looked too disjointed visually. I thought it looked like one mold for all of them and reading about it that's apparently what was done. The idea for that might have been to make it more representational than realistic.

You didn't help pay for it if you don't live in Massachusetts and didn't presumably donate to the nonprofit "Friends of Fort Point Channel'. It's their project so it's up to them what installation they want to fund and display. You can look these things up you know...

The description of what it represents came from the organization for the theme for this year's floating display. The art & design team that created it described it differently. I think too it's a bit of a stretch to read that much into it, but it's the work that was chosen as best representing the theme out of everything that was submitted.

You didn't help pay for it if you don't live in Massachusetts and didn't presumably donate to the nonprofit "Friends of Fort Point Channel'. It's their project so it's up to them what installation they want to fund and display. You can look these things up you know...

I took your advise and did a little research. I've served on a few community boards over the years, and learned some things about getting funding. Had do a little digging on this because like a lot of these types of organizations there's a chain of one funding another, till you get to the actual source. In this case several layers later there was the National Endowment For The Arts, a federal organization that has had more than it's fair share of dubious projects over the years. So in reality we all paid for a little toward the project. Granted these types of organizations get a few private and corporate sponsors, but the majority of the funding comes from the taxpayer, who has very little input into the projects. Not debating the art, just don't believe that taxpayers need to fund it. Just my opinion.

@smoke665 Projects like this are generally funded partially by local and state tax revenue (in many places tax revenue paid by tourists on hotel rooms, not by the people who live there) and matched by private donations/operational fundraising, just to provide a little extra elucidation on the matter.

@Designer It being "good art" is actually near the bottom of qualifiers for tax-funded cultural projects. Usually, they look at your marketing plan, your match dollars, your fiscal accountability record, your intended impact within the community (who and how many you are serving), if the artist is a draw (some amount of recognition), if the work is interesting/engaging (notice how I didn't say good), and how you will evaluate the project's success (surveys, demo gathering, press mentions, etc). Also, you can feel like it's terrible art all you want, somebody else might think this is amazing. Trust me, for every person who thinks this is bad art there are 4 who think its really great because it's topical, eye-catching and different from the usual perceptions of art. And equally there are plenty of people who can't stand what many consider to be the great works of art because while they may have a lot of technical ability they have very little emotion and intrigue (I'm looking at you conventional representation landscape paintings).

It sucks.

Even after somebody attempts to explain it, people still cannot see any correlation between the installation and the stated intent.

According to you, people will come here to see this POS and pay taxes to fund more of it, and that is somehow supposed to be a good thing.

I've seen far too many public art installations that are crap to have any confidence in the public art committees ability to recognize anything better. It is a never-ending cycle of public waste.

@PersistentNomad didn't deny that community groups get donations from sponsors, and local entities, but if they are like other community boards I've been on we struggled to get 25-30% of our funding from sponsors, the remaining came from local, state, and federal tax dollars, in the form of grants, or funding requests.

Truth be told, I'm actually not against using tax dollars in some cases to fund certain things as permanent exhibits when they appeal to the majority of the people, but over the last few years there's been a slew of these "Temporary art" projects, that frankly test the limits of what is art and what is garbage.

I'm not going to lie and say that public art committees know where it's at (see: Sarasota has its head up its you-know-what). But, I think you're missing the point, which is that we are proving with our conversation the thing that these projects get funded for: to foster discussion and draw attention from outside the locale to the locale, generating interest in what's going on there and driving the economy through tourism.

The idea for that might have been to make it more representational than realistic.
Totally missed this the first time around. I also wish they had at least mixed it up with some pint-sized versions, but after looking at some of the close-ups, I liked their slick, androgynous anonymity. It's like they are not really people, which is a subtext of the refugee situation.

several layers later there was the National Endowment For The Arts
I would love to figure out your trail of breadcrumbs, because nowhere on the website for the FPAC, FFPC or BRA websites does it mention their funding sources for this project in more specific terms than FFPC or BRA. The FFPC has a membership program, which probably contributes to their operational budget not their programs budget. Also, I worked in the greater Boston area for over a year and compared to other places I worked raising money for events and projects was not that hard; so it wouldn't surprise me if they paid for this project with small donations from the area businesses who knew that it would bring people to the area. Eastern Bank will throw their money at almost anything.
But, more ominously is the fact that nowhere does it indicate any funding from the LCC, the MCC, or any of the major Boston-area foundations who usually support this kind of thing. So, it either had a small enough budget to not need major funding and therefore they didn't use grant programs, or they are not accrediting their funding sources properly, which is a whole other hullaballoo.

I'm a reluctant participant on this forum (it doesn't float my boat and I don't give much of of a sh!t!) but, I happen to think that the art piece, you know, the one that everyone thinks is a piece of Shinola is actually fairly decent.
It grabbed me at first glance and made me wonder just a little bit about what the artist was trying to communicate (artist's mission no. 1). I am also reminded of a time when the incumbent Australian Prime Minister ( Gough Whitlam),.... you won't know him, bought a Jackson Pollack painting to hang in parliament for about 8 or 10 million bucks of tax payer's money.
There was an outrage. What a wanker, spending all our money on a piece of pure ****!!!
Anyway, long story short, Gough was ousted despite his (now well recognised brilliance) for being a pooncy do-gooder with a social conscience.... can I say, the antithesis of, say Doanld Trump?

The Jackson Pollack, (Blue Poles) is now a national icon. It's brilliant.

Great art, doesn't always appeal to the masses. just as well.
The masses wouldn't know good art if it shat on them from a great height. Let's keep it that way.

I'm a reluctant participant on this forum (it doesn't float my boat and I don't give much of of a sh!t!)...

Is your participation some type of court ordered community service?

..we are proving with our conversation the thing that these projects get funded for: to foster discussion ..
The conversation in this thread has been more about the art installation and/or funding, and none about what the "artist" claimed was his reason for it. Therefore the project has failed.

If I may now draw an analogy in photography: Like post-capture processing that is "over baked"; if the processing dominates the conversation, then it detracts from the original intent of the art.

I'm a reluctant participant on this forum (it doesn't float my boat and I don't give much of of a sh!t!)...

Is your participation some type of court ordered community service?
I am rearranging the letters and looking for cryptic messages that will tell his whereabouts and the identities of his captors. No luck yet, going to run it through Fialka M-125 MN next having failed with NEMA, KL7, Enigma, T-205 WECHA, CSP-1756, TC-53, HC-9 and of course the CD-57 Hagelin-Cryptos Portable Cryptographic Device already.

Most reactions

Back