Oops I did it again...

No one said you have to have a nice car...Priorities dude

The car that just got totalled cost me 1300. + the 1100 in repairs (and new tires) that i had to get done to keep it running in its short life span.

My car before that one, the one that got ripped apart by a drunk, cost me 2100. only had to get about 500 in repairs over the life of that car.

I don't plan on getting a nice car, just one that will actually start most of the time... :sexywink:

looks like ill be getting a third job over the summer.... gotta save some up for college.

....+ the 1100 in repairs....

....only had to get about 500 in repairs over the life of that car....

.....just one that will actually start most of the time... :sexywink:
What you want is an older Toyota pickup truck with the 22R or 22RE motor, or any of the cars with that motor. You shouldn't need anything in repairs for hundreds of thousands of miles :thumbup:

Stay away from that GM garbage. There's a reason they are so cheap to purchase both new and used....

Oh yes, the Toyota Hilux. There is a programme on the BBC called Top Gear, and they tried to destroy one of those things. .

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I will gladly donate to you, a loonie and a toonie...I'm Canadian and nice like that!
Really!? Hmmm loonie, toonie and Canadian.... Do you know Tom and Jerry? :lol:
...I played with your heart. Got lost in the game. Oh baby, baby.
Well thats what you get for playing with my heart...:er:

Oh and yes, I have been looking into different Toyota's. I've never met someone with something bad to say about them. The only problem is that they are a little more expensive right off the bat. Ill be checking them out thought.

Modern cars....it takes so little to total them out these days. I think Christina would agree with me that that is fixable....but that damn price tag and quick to the trigger insurance adjusters.

For those who don't know, a vehicle is totaled out when the damage (estimated repair cost) exceedes the book value of the vehicle regardless of what exactly the damage is.

I have seen cars totaled out for what was truthfuly only cosmedic damage.

Wile this is not the case here, the damaged arias all appear to be repairable including the suspension damage.

Not to mention, cars you think would total are fixed, like a $24,000.00 repair done to a rolled hummer.

I have seen banks loan to fix a vehicle with damage of that nature if you really wish to keep the vehicle.

Modern cars....it takes so little to total them out these days. I think Christina would agree with me that that is fixable....but that damn price tag and quick to the trigger insurance adjusters.

For those who don't know, a vehicle is totaled out when the damage (estimated repair cost) exceedes the book value of the vehicle regardless of what exactly the damage is.

I have seen cars totaled out for what was truthfuly only cosmedic damage.

Wile this is not the case here, the damaged arias all appear to be repairable including the suspension damage.

There's a good reason for this. Crash a modern and it'll crumple - good as the energy gets absorbed before it reaches the people in the car. Now, crash my car and there's a good chance you'll get seriously killed or worse. Between me and the engine is nothing more than metal as thin as a doorskin. Being chassis based means it'll all slide into the cabin. Sure, I can replace the bonnet and even the chassis itself for sensible money. But ALL of the energy goes into me.

If that Toyota's is twisted it'll need pulling out on a jig. And that should only be trusted to experienced people. It's not cheap either...

I don't really like the composition.

Anyway, sorry to hear!

There's a good reason for this. Crash a modern and it'll crumple - good as the energy gets absorbed before it reaches the people in the car. Now, crash my car and there's a good chance you'll get seriously killed or worse. Between me and the engine is nothing more than metal as thin as a doorskin. Being chassis based means it'll all slide into the cabin. Sure, I can replace the bonnet and even the chassis itself for sensible money. But ALL of the energy goes into me.

If that Toyota's is twisted it'll need pulling out on a jig. And that should only be trusted to experienced people. It's not cheap either...

Yes, they are called crumple zones. Specifically placed dents (for lack of a better way to put it) in the frame rails and other supports in impact prone locations. What they do is...well obvious, they collaps in a predetermined manor to absorb the shock of an impact. However what many don't realize is crumple zones are not weak, It takes a hit to collaps them. If they where soft enough to give under such little stress they would absorb nothing.

I see nothing that suggests a crumple zone engagement in that photo. All I see is some busted plastic, some bent steel, and camber that has been knocked into last week. There is nothing that suggests it.

Bumper cover may be fix able, Fender likely better off replacing, Door definate replace but that alignment issue is all sorts of fouled up and that is what is driving the price threw the roof and into toataldom.

My response was in reply to yours.

Who knows without looking. If that car was hit at a weak point or in a way it wasn't tested for it could do a lot of damage. The NCAP (European crash tests) award points for how well a car copes on impact (and silly things like airbag stickers...). The car designers try to pass those tests and sometimes ignore other types of imapct not tested. More stars sell cars...

He said the wheel was bent and look at the bonnet. Possibly caused by the wing, possibly not. I've also seen old Audi's written off from slight bonnet damage. I don't know how expensive parts are for his car. I can see a swage line down the side of the car just below the windows. It doesn't match where the wing joins the car. That could be the wing at fault (the shut lines on the door look good) or it could be some twisting. I can't view the car so I can't tell. :mrgreen:

Oh yes, the Toyota Hilux. There is a programme on the BBC called Top Gear, and they tried to destroy one of those things. YouTube has it here.

Kevin

How did I know this thread would eventually end up here? :lol:

Scott: I feel your pain...I keep getting little things happening to my car, and while It's not been totalled, a few $500 deductables (or full cost if I don't want the insurance hit) because someone can't park in my garage hurts...

i work for a body shop and hear that story all the time. but you can fight it and get them to segegrate ( sp?) it.

who's your insurance?

Glad your okay!
I only have liability on my car.(its not worth much) Im going to go after her insurance.

Don't worry, that will buff right out....

Haha yea sure! Its not really the dings and scratches im worried about. Its the axle being bent and the wheel being at a bad angle. If i end up loosing the battle with the insurance, ill probably just pay to get the wheel fixed.
getting the wheel fixed wouldn't be a bad idea even if you do get insurance money.(unless insurance pays for a better car, then by all means get the better car)

Most reactions

Back