Opening buy/sell thread requirement

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can we change the requirement to open a buy/sell thread to a min of say 20-50? If you fall below it, either wait or PM a mod.

I'm tired of these 1-5 post posters. I for one, will not be buying anything from them because they probably scams and as soon as they sell they leave.

Just my 2cents

I agree it's a good idea ;)

When all you have to do is ignore them, why does the forum need to change? :er:

If you don't want to buy from them, then don't. It's your choice.

Mike, I can undestand that philosophy with regular posts... But if someone is posting something, then in order for us to see that they have only posted their one buy/sell thread, we have to open the thread...

It could also be looked at as a form of "safety" for those of us on the forum...

If someone is new to the forum and they see something they are looking for (nikon 70-300 lens for example) and the person is selling it for $50 (which would more than likely be a scam... too good to be true) and that person who is selling it has only posted twice before, that new person who wants to buy it could fall for their trick (not knowing any better... Not everyone is as internet safety savvy as some of us here) and lose $50...

By making it so that a person has to have at least 50 posts before they can open a buy/sell thread, it could protect the newbies (like myself) from falling for scams like that ;)

I disagree... the less the forum tries to manage it the better off they are. Leave it as buyer/seller beware and be done with it.

Post count has little to nothing to do with credibility.

I disagree... the less the forum tries to manage it the better off they are. Leave it as buyer/seller beware and be done with it.

That's pretty much it. We have always had a 'hands off' attitude for the buy sell section. If we institute a 50 posts policy, it's might be construed that we are saying anyone with over 50 posts is trustworthy, when there is no easy way for us to validate that.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but this has been our policy for a long, long time.

Be nice to see a post count without having to bother clicking on the ad anyway....

That's pretty much it. We have always had a 'hands off' attitude for the buy sell section. If we institute a 50 posts policy, it's might be construed that we are saying anyone with over 50 posts is trustworthy, when there is no easy way for us to validate that.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but this has been our policy for a long, long time.
See your point BM, and it makes sense. But, if you wish, I can point you to other forum operator's, non-photography related, that can show real statistical data, that by instituting this "1" post policy, and requiring 25 or more posts, cut down rip-off's significantly.
True, just because you have 50 posts, does not grant you "sainthood" into the "trustful zone". But a rip-off artist, is usually not going to put the effort in to post 25-50 significant posts (+plus 1's , thumbs up, and "yes") don't count as substantial posts. Not arguing the point further, just saying that this policy has and does work. On the other hand, I can't help to think to myself, "hey J, this is not your site, it's none of my business". And I take my own advice on this issue. So, i'll say no more.

Thanks,
J.:mrgreen:

Just to play devil's advocate, I think we had a guy show up here, who had acquired a but load of Manfrotto tripods and was just looking to sell them off.
I think several members bought one or more of them, for a pretty good price.

This forum ranks pretty high when someone searches for a photography forum....and if someone is looking for an easy play to sell photo gear, this is where they might show up.
Of course, the might also attract the scammers too.

I'll post this thread where is should have been put and then let the 'powers that be' know about it.

One thing I do in the past was I asked the buyer or seller if they had a ebay ID. If yes, then I used my ebay account and sent him/her a message and asked for a reply in ebay. Once I received the reply, I took a look at their ebay account regarding buying/selling history. Of course, it doesn't mean 100% bulletproof, but at least you have one additional information to base on.

Last time when I sold a Nikon SB-800 here, the buyer only have few posts here. But his ebay account has good feedback and the transaction was very smooth.

And I agree with letting brand new member to post in this section. We do not want to miss good deals like Mike said. I remember that tripod deals ... but I miss it. I believe it was Manfrotto tripod with head and without head.

When all you have to do is ignore them, why does the forum need to change? :er:

If you don't want to buy from them, then don't. It's your choice.

I agree, I would rather buy it off amazon or some where that is a pure sales website.

This forum ranks pretty high when someone searches for a photography forum....and if someone is looking for an easy play to sell photo gear, this is where they might show up.

This is the crux of the matter. Classified ads bring eyes to the site.

Back in the olden days when I was a newspaper photographer it was common knowledge that the dominant paper in any town was the one that had the most classified ads. The classifieds attracted tons of readers, and more readers meant more retail ads at higher rates. It's my opinion that Craigslist did more to kill newspapers than anything else.

I noticed this site sells banner ads. If I was the owner if this site, I'd encourage as many people to post ads in the classifieds as possible, regardless of whether they're posting to other forums. The classifieds draw new people to the site -- like me. If the classifieds shrivel up, then the other forums are going to end up with the same eight guys talking to each other.

Does this count towards my post total? I think that makes 4. I just dropped by to check the classifieds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back