Order of edits?

My workflow is pretty standardized.

1. I start in Bridge. Here I quickly do my first cull. Rename if necessary and transfer from card to files using the batch tools.

2. In LR since I use a top down file organization. Right clicking on the top folder then choosing Synchronize, brings everything into the Lr catalog as a batch.

3. In LR I first adjust exposure and WB to a common setting, then Sync that setting across all images in the file. Then I do my 2nd round of culling, removing the images I don't want with an X and using Rating to tag each image, from 1-3. Only the 3's get further editing. I use the "remove photos" option to remove all the images marked with an X.

4. Then I use Filter to only show those rated 3. Next on the first image in the series I set the contrast to a predefined point depending on what it's of. I adjust the Highlights, then set the White point and Black point, using alt/white and alt/black sliders. Next I adjust shadows using alt/shadows. Next I apply a preset curve. Next I set the sharpen to a predefined point, and mask it to around 70. From here I again use Sync to apply the settings to all images.

5. This is the point where I cull and rate again, only the best get a 4. I filter all the 4's and make individual adjustments to the HSL panel or the Split Toning panel, fine tune the other sliders and curve, and straighten if required. Then it's back to Library for the final cull. The images I want to finish in PS get rated 5. I then filter and send them to PS.

I never crop an image until I export it, and the final sharpening layer is a High Pass Filter set to Overlay or Soft Light at the top of the stack in my layers. I use Profiles a lot, but very seldom use presets. Presets generally require fine tuning between images, and generally I can adjust the Basic panel sliders where I want them the first time faster than tweaking a preset.

Last edited:
Do you edit in LR or PS? I use LR and I have a preset I made that adds all the stuff I like (contrast, sharpening, pull shadow, bump highlights etc). I then tweak as needed and export. I think with PS the workflow is different b/c of the way the images are saved....have you heard of damien symonds? He has really good PS classes that talk about workflow. I'm not a PS person though :p

editing to add that I save cloning or brush work until I am almost done with the photo (gallery). There have been too many times I spent time cloning only to find the next shot was way better LOL~

I'll cull then randomly move sliders about until something happens! :biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

More seriously, it depends what I think needs done in post. Generally I'll:

cull
level and crop
adjust exposure settings
local adjustments
burn and dodge
sharpen and reduce noise
WB and colour grade
then I can go back and fine tune some settings.

Sometimes I jump about a bit, and sometimes I use a combination of settings to get a result. Today, for example, I was sorting exposure, then I added a local radial filter to burn the background, then I sorted the exposure again, added a vingette, sorted exposure again noise reduced, sharpened and then colour graded.

Often I'll just try and sort out the big issues first, then I can bin the shot if I don't feel it's working without wasting time on other stuff, so it's very dependant on where I'm taking the image.

Really interesting gamut of responses. I straighten first but never crop until the very end. And @paigew I have had that happen enough times to know better!! I do my culling similar to @smoke665 making about 3 passes through and only working on the best ones. I use synch a lot.

Definitely learned a few things by reading through these responses.

Really interesting gamut of responses. I straighten first but never crop until the very end. And @paigew I have had that happen enough times to know better!! I do my culling similar to @smoke665 making about 3 passes through and only working on the best ones. I use synch a lot.

Definitely learned a few things by reading through these responses.

There's a world of difference between working one or two images, and a couple hundred. You have to work smart, be organized in your approach and only doing something once if at all possible. Even when I get to PS, I frequently copy and paste adjustment layers between images, and use actions to save time. It also helps to remember when doing a shoot to try to maintain consistency in exposures.

There's a world of difference between working one or two images, and a couple hundred. You have to work smart, be organized in your approach and only doing something once if at all possible. Even when I get to PS, I frequently copy and paste adjustment layers between images, and use actions to save time. It also helps to remember when doing a shoot to try to maintain consistency in exposures.
Absolutley, but that depends on what you are shooting like. From a studio or portait point of view that makes complete sense and is something I've done in the past when shooting portraits or sport. Since a lot of what I shoot is landscape or widlife, my process is a bit different. My outlook is also perhaps a bit more unusual and a bit brutal, as I'm not shooting for a client. My lighting varies so much between shots that batch processing is often not an option. So when I cull, I look for the the best of the series. Maybe that's a pose I particularly liked that I think works with a particular crop, maybe it's the sharpest shot, or I had or the best lighting, or something grabs my attention. But generally, I'll really try to pick a shot an commit to it. Sometimes I edit 2 or 3 to final images, but generally I'll post the one that I think is best.

Absolutley, but that depends on what you are shooting like.
I tend to visualize the final image before I click the shutter. So whether it's one shot or a hundred my shots are geared to that end. Unlike my earlier spray and pray years.

I have a related question. First I usually sharpen at the end. But then, when I go to save the picture, the program asks if I;m going to use it on the web, or print, or do other things and then applies additional sharpening or not by my choice.

Do people do the final sharpening the program recommends in addition to the first sharpening or skip the final sharpening?
PS I use Lightroom.

I have a related question. First I usually sharpen at the end. But then, when I go to save the picture, the program asks if I;m going to use it on the web, or print, or do other things and then applies additional sharpening or not by my choice.

Do people do the final sharpening the program recommends in addition to the first sharpening or skip the final sharpening?
PS I use Lightroom.
Output sharpening is different from camera sharpening and creative sharpening in post, because Output Sharpening is based on the final display of the image.

Cambridge In Color describes output sharpening required for prints as "it relies on rule of thumb estimates for the amount/radius based on the (i) size and viewing distance of the print, (ii) resolution of the print (in DPI/PPI), (iii) type of printer and (iv) type of paper. For web, even if an image already looks sharp when viewed on-screen, resizing it to less than 50% of its original size often removes any existing sharpening halos. One usually needs to apply output sharpening to offset this effect:"

When I export from LR, I leave the "Sharpen For" box unchecked under Output Sharpening. I prefer to leave everything just as it looked on screen.

Open in camera raw
adjust exposure
Contrast
Tweet shadow/highlights
Open images
Save
Straighten
Crop
Save v2
Start using layers
Save each layer as work is done
Never used sharpening