Over exposed when shooting at f1.8

Pauly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 50mm 1.8, I was shooting outside yesterday and noticed whenever I put it on aperture mode and selected f1.8 it was always over exposed. My exposure settings were the same as on Program mode.

did you set exposure compensation to some + value?

what was your ISO and shutter speed? maybe it was very bright and your ISO so high that the shutter could not be fast enough to allow for a correct exposure.

I would think like Alex - either your ISO is up or your expsure meter is set high - that would mean you would get a slower shutter speed to get more light into the camera

(generally though I tend to get best expsures during the day on setting the exposure meter to a negative value - sometimes down as far as -1).

did you set exposure compensation to some + value?

what was your ISO and shutter speed? maybe it was very bright and your ISO so high that the shutter could not be fast enough to allow for a correct exposure.

ISO was set to 100. Exposure was 0. It could have been the shutter that was staying opened for too long also. I will try to set it to manual mode and open the shutte for 1/200 next time.

at day at F1.8 and ISO100 i wouldn't be surprised if you needed a shutter speed of 1/2000 - 1/4000 or higher even.. perhaps it was just too bright?

If you still have some of the shots i'd check the EXIF data for the shutter speed, you might find it's at its limit, whatever that may be (1/4000 or something)

Ya, the settings you change stick to the program mode you are using, so if u set ISO 400 on Tv and go to Av, set your ISO to 100 then switch back to Tv, it will be 400 again. Unless im mistaken?

Does the metering mode stay the same when you switch from Program to Aperture Priority?

Does the metering mode stay the same when you switch from Program to Aperture Priority?

The aperture you last set while in aperture priority is what will be used when you use it again.

You might have changed to center weighted metering on accident.

Ya, make sure you check all your settings...

The aperture you last set while in aperture priority is what will be used when you use it again.
Yeah, but what about metering? Some cameras default to different metering modes on different shooting modes.

They what? I would have thought the metering mode is independently selectable. Even so switching between matrix (evaluative) and centre weighted isn't likely to change the exposure that much. Spot metering I could understand, but any camera with that ability would definitely have a separate selector for the metering method independent of the shooting mode.

I wonder if some of the cams that have memory recall or customizable "scene" modes can? I never use my 5 so I dunno for my cam. Maybe. :scratch:

They what? I would have thought the metering mode is independently selectable. Even so switching between matrix (evaluative) and centre weighted isn't likely to change the exposure that much. Spot metering I could understand, but any camera with that ability would definitely have a separate selector for the metering method independent of the shooting mode.
It's probably not common, but my 10s (35mm) switches metering modes when you switch shooting modes. M (and I think Av & Tv) default to Spot Metering, all of the 'auto' modes default to evaluative (I don't think you can even select spot metering in those modes).

I just thought other cameras might do the same thing, but maybe not...
It can be a pain in the ass. It doesn't remember your settings either (swithing to one mode from another resets everything to the defaults).

Ah right, i never realised exposures were ok in Program mode and not in Aperture Priority even though the shutter speed & aperture were the same.. read the first post wrong!

So yup, think everyone has mentioned everything else.

How'd you get on?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back