P.H.O.T.O - Photographic Industry Helping Others To Overcome

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by danalec99, Sep 7, 2005.

1. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    P.H.O.T.O - Photographic Industry Helping Others To Overcome

This organization has just been formed for helping the photographers who has been hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Here is a quote by DWF founder Jeff Caplan who has been just selected to serve on the P.H.O.T.O panel:

• Like Like x 1
  2. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Isn't there a huge opportunity for photographers to make money in Journalistic Photography?

3. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And why just photographers?

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Obviously the intention is to support our brethren in the photography industry.
    There is always the Red Cross where you can forward your funds to if you are not keen about this.

Cheerio!
    danalec99

5. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There are a lot of charities helping out a wide variety of people. I'm sure Daniel chose to post this because this is a photography forum.

I can't imagine how difficult this must be for people who had their living as photography and now it's gone. I know how challenging it's been to build a business from the ground up. Thank you for posting this!

6. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the info.

Brethren of photographers sounds a little pretentious to me. I'll give my money the Red Cross. Everyone needs help, not just photographers.

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly. Thanks Alison. This message is being posted on all the known photo forums as we speak.

bace, you are correct. Everybody needs help. But like Alison said, that is why we have umpteen number of charities (Red Cross, Salvation Army etc etc) around. And I am sure most are donating to those organizations.
    Just like any other business, setting up a photography business is no joke. You will know the pain once you get around to it (that is if you have any similar plans). There are a lot of families whose sole income were from photography. I think it is great that this organization has just been formed catering exclusively to the photographers.

I merely posted this here because this is a photo forum.

Thanks,
    Daniel

8. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand the goal, And i'm sorry if I sound like i'm being incensitive, but this just sounds very prejudice? If that's the right word.

It's like saying that the only people worthy or a photographers help is a photographer. That's on par (but less extreme) with white people saying they will only help white people? I think everyone in this situation is equal. Everyone has had their lively hoods stripped from them. I don't care who they are, or what they did for a living?

I'm sure this will do a great service to the photographers of New Orleans, but it's hard to start ANY business. Why would I discriminate, just because I can relate to photographers. (Which I find hard to do really. Money is easy to make in photography if you're actually good, and you market properly)

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry but I am not looking for a pointless debate.
    No one is forcing you to participate in this donation.

10. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not looking for a debate either. Personally I think that sometimes it's easier to donate when you can directly identify with the person, or group of people receiving the money. It's the reason that people donate to the SPCA (they love animals), or to a cancer society (they lost a loved one to cancer). It's not saying that animals are more important than people, or that cancer research is more important than AIDS research, it's just a cause that someone chooses to donate to.

I'm surprised at your last statement there:
    That's the whole point....the client base and the venues are all GONE. You can market all you want, but the weddings and portraits that you had booked, the money that you were going to use to feed your family is gone. I work for a large company that is donating money and time to help the relief effort. A photographer (or any small business owner) probably doesnt' have a large corporation with money to be able to stand behind them. Doesn't matter how good you were, if your studio is gone, your clients are gone and probably most of your portfolio and computer equipment is gone it makes it pretty tough to make a living.

11. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Kinda like what would happen to the glow stick industry if all the little ravers were gone...

The point of this thread is to inform people that aren't narrow minded to think about fellow photographers in this difficult time as well as the others that have suffered through this disaster. It's an option for people who would like to help in some way but don't like the other ways out there and can see what it would be like to lose all of your client base in one swoop. I think it is a very good thing that these people are doing. I also think that if you don't have anything constructive to add to this conversation, you can just not reply to it. Nothing is worse than when someone comes in and takes a crap on a good subject of conversation because they want to think that everyone is being "prejudice". If you'll notice, the first line wasn't "don't help the others, help us"...

• Like Like x 1
  12. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao:

Choosing a particular group to help in a disastrous situation hardly makes one an elitist, Bace. It simply points to that person's special understanding of that group's particular challenges in such conditions.

• Like Like x 1