Passage of Time- Still Pond, Md

All packed up, heading your way Monday.

My only request is you shoot it for as long as you need, then pass it on to someone else like I'm doing for you!

It's not "pro" glass, but it's a decent lens that anyone on DX sensors could use. :D

8479568437_86055ac2ee.jpg

Rick .... image has all of the ingredients of an old photo so I do not mind the noise and look at all as it fits that old house subject....very nice of Brent to lend you a lens!!

All packed up, heading your way Monday.

My only request is you shoot it for as long as you need, then pass it on to someone else like I'm doing for you!

It's not "pro" glass, but it's a decent lens that anyone on DX sensors could use. :D

8479568437_86055ac2ee.jpg

Many thanks Brent. Like Medic's zoom, it will surely be forwarded to the next needy soul some day. Even if this turns out to be the camera, I'll be looking for a DX replacement body. I am very anxious to give this a try. You've shown me what it can produce on a 200, so this should prove, lens or body
BTW, your sign...Danke.

Last edited:
When you're processing your RAW photos check the sharpening tab - by default the RAW processor should apply a degree of sharpening to your photos (typically called Capture sharpening). This is important as RAW photos without any sharpening applied at all will always look softer than they should.

If you've disabled the capture sharpening it would go a long way to explain why you're seeing this sudden softness in all your photos.

The shutter speed, ISO and aperture should all be fine, f16 is getting close to where diffraction starts to really show (it tends to start taking effect after around f8-10 but its not till around f16 or so that it really becomes noticeable). Maybe try pulling back to f13, but f16 should still be more usable than this I would think.

Being a digital noobie, I'm still catching up. Regarding "sharpening"? On my resizing tab, there is a sharpening adjustment. It's defaulted at 70. I've never changed it. But the last color clip of the eve's is just as it appears as it comes out of the camera, before any PP. Sorry this is late. I caught your settings feedback, but missed the top half.

BTW, I now have CS2, Paintshop Pro 5 and Lightroom 4.3. The photo looks the same opened in all 3. I do find myself always going back to PS5. Only because I "learned" that software first and too lazy to start from scratch I guess.
A while ago, someone posted a link to the Lightroom tutorials that were offered free for a month. I took the time to download all 17 hours of it and then made my own hyperlinked menu. One day I need to watch and learn. Being it was 17 hours, I didn't even watch them as I downloaded them.
Yep, I just hijacked my own thread :lol:

When you go back, go in close and get some detail shots. Look for interesting textures and lines. Try to be more abstract. Look for interesting emotional elements within the larger whole as well.

Some examples (though I admit these aren't awesome, but still...)

Salem%20Day%20-%20Decaying%20House%20-%20009.jpg

Salem%20Day%20-%20Decaying%20House%20-%20011.jpg

Salem%20Day%20-%20Fred's%20Boat%20Shop%20-%20020.jpg

Salem%20Day%20-%20Fred's%20Boat%20Shop%20-%20040.jpg

Sorry Manny. All I see there are photo's from a poor home inspection <only joking>
This just isn't me. I guess I'll never fit in here, but that ok.

:lol:

1. You "fit in" just fine, and I would very much like you to not leave. In my opinion, you're a great member to have around here. Let me put it to you this way... I remember two kinds of people on TPF. Really cool people, and total *******s. You're NOT an *******. Just because you think and work a different way than many of us makes you neither wrong, nor worthy of non-acceptance. Hey, for all we know, you're way is the next great wave of photography and you should be trying to convert us.

2. That said, I'm still going to constantly try to chip away at you and your inventory shots. :)

Also... another thing to try...

You say you go by here a lot, what about going for atmospherics? You don't necessarily have to focus on the details of the place... you could go for a particular mood. Look for a day with a cloudy or stormy sky, go when there are some beautiful clouds, go when there is a great sunset or sunrise, play with silhoetting the building, etc.

For example, I waited and watched for nearly a YEAR to get this sky so I could shoot this angel...

Concord%20Cemetary%20Angels%20-%20082.jpg

Thanks for all that Manny. Like my record shots, I'm not going anywhere :lol:

I was into B&W and Ansel Adams when B&W and Ansel Adams wasn't "cool". Straight B&W photography with full, crisp tones is what makes a photo I can keep going back to over and over again. It's funny, but my dad got me into photography 40+ years ago. He's now 74 and I was over talking to him the other day and mentioned breaking out the film gear and getting back into medium and large format B&W. He thinks I'm just nuts.

Thanks for all that Manny. Like my record shots, I'm not going anywhere :lol:

You'd better not, or I'd have to come down there and pelt you with some stale fastnachts!

I really like the subject matter. I might take out the branches though. I think it is alfully tough to use tree limbs to frame the subject. I would also reshoot from the same angle but tighter to eliminate the branch and focus in two or three different area (closest corner, middle of the house, the furthest point of the house and 1/2 the distance between you and the house, etc) you might figure out the focus issue by comparing them to each other. I really think you would greatly improve this photo by shooting just after full sunrise or just at sunset. I think this photo is shot in the harshest light.

I really like the subject matter. I might take out the branches though. I think it is alfully tough to use tree limbs to frame the subject. I would also reshoot from the same angle but tighter to eliminate the branch and focus in two or three different area (closest corner, middle of the house, the furthest point of the house and 1/2 the distance between you and the house, etc) you might figure out the focus issue by comparing them to each other. I really think you would greatly improve this photo by shooting just after full sunrise or just at sunset. I think this photo is shot in the harshest light.

Thanks. Agreed on the branches and evergreen. Next time I'll move in (after getting the owners pemission) As far as timing, I got there purposely at noon. I go by there so many times, I know it takes takes two hours to get there (about 2:15 to my trailer), so I left home at 10.
My reasoning. If you look at the house, most of the remaining white paint is on the front. Although I wish the sun would been higher to case more shadow on the individual clapboards, I wanted the white clapboard fully illuminated to contrast with the darker gray of the sides. East or west lighting would not have give the affect I was looking for. Actually, it looks as if the satellite passed over head about the same time of day that I was there.
View attachment 36380

I think I just found the answer to my issue.
Apparently the D200 is very unforgiving to under exposure.
I just pick a neutral colored subject. I happened to be my grandfathers sharping wheel.

Here's an overall shot. ISO125

View attachment 36394

enlarged:
View attachment 36395

Under exposed
View attachment 36396

Under exposed, englarged

View attachment 36397

Under exposed, corrected

View attachment 36398

This only ISO125. 400 would obviously be that much worse.
The house was at 400 and underexposed to maintain the highlights of the white clapboard.

I think I just found the answer to my issue.
Apparently the D200 is very unforgiving to under exposure.
I just pick a neutral colored subject. It happened to be my grandfathers sharping wheel.

Here's an overall shot. ISO125

View attachment 36394

enlarged:
View attachment 36395

Under exposed
View attachment 36396

Under exposed, englarged

View attachment 36397

Under exposed, corrected

View attachment 36398

This only ISO125. 400 would obviously be that much worse.
The house was at 400 and underexposed to maintain the highlights of the white clapboard.

Noticable improvement on the focus issue. Have you used TPE? The Photographer's Emphemeris? I live by that program. It's free on the computer but there is a small cost for the iphone app. It will help you figure out when the natural light would be stricking the house at the precise angle. good luck and keep shooting.

Most reactions

Back