Penn Station New York arrest

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Village Idiot, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Amtrak Police Harassment Of Duane Kerzic For Photography In Pennsylvania Station New York On December 21, 2008

Discuss.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. Yemme

Yemme No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh boy that's what ThorHammer was talking about.

3. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Aside from the argument of right or wrong... I'll just throw in that I think we all read and see enough of these articles that it's worth anticipating this type of thing... especially if you're into shooting pics of infrastructure.

Side note: Wasn't there recently a rumored threat on NYC subways?

4. impressme

impressme TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Around the holidays the NYPD NY Port Auth. always up the threat level on trains and subways. They seem to get some activity as far as info on threats to these forms of transportation but nothing really concrete comes from them. It's more to keep the public alert to their surroundings.

5. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is why we should be racially profiling. We can't just ban all photography of anything that could be a terrorist target. That's just not freedom. A little common sense on the part of the authorities would go a long way..

6. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I have been told misinformation regarding photography in many places involving transit...the Baltimore subway, Washington Metro (Photos allowed, but not pointing down the tunnels was what they said), Washington Union Station, New York Union Station.

A couple times I was asked to delete my photos, which I of course, refused to do. I carry around the Photographers' Bill of Rights, an explanation and summary of photographer rights taken from US law. No police officer, guard, or anyone else may force the deletion of or confiscate photographs or photography equipment without a court order.

Now, on private property, or where people may reasonably assume privacy, if you are asked to stop taking pictures, you must stop, but you can keep any ones you've already taken.

7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And the arrested party's account said that the officer arrested him for trespassing and disobeying an order to delete the photos. If that's true, then he was arrested for disobeying and illegal order given by the law enforcement official.

There was that whole big stink in DC about Amtrak and the metro and how they had to get their policy straight. They did a pretty bad job of it, but I don't think I've heard of anyone else being harrassed at Union Station in the past couple of months.

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Never seen "racial profiling" used to backup the words "freedom" and "common sense". :er:

Racial profiling is one of those things that, on the surface, "might" be effective but the expense of personal freedoms of a smaller group is an "absolute". It opens huge can of worms in the long run and programs the public into fearing a racial group. It is just another form of segregation... separating a group of people as "high risk" over others considered "low risk". Separation by race is never equal.

Considering that most terrorist like acts against the U.S. on U.S. soil have been committed by white, male, U.S. citizens, racial profiling would most likely not be effective. It certainly would not have picked up Timothy McVeigh (and those that helped him). It certainly would not have picked up Theodore Kaczynski (Unibomber).

Also remember that we as a nation racially singled out the American Japanese during WWII. We placed thousands of innocent U.S. citizens into internment camps against their will. That action alone became one of the America's most shameful acts against its own people. Threats from "terrorism" can come from anyone from any race...

Think about it.... The police are already profiling Photographers as potential terrorists and you are already claiming your rights are being violated. Just imagine if the police were profiling your race as a potential terrorist. Do you think the state of personal rights in the U.S. will improve? Are we going to be safer? At what point are the police driven by profiling no better than terrorists?

9. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To keep from violating the rules of the forum, I've responded to your post on my site if you're interested. It could quickly go astray here.

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Sorry... won't spend my time on your site. If such high regard for the non-politics post, such a comment should have been relegated to the back of your mind and stayed there rather than posted here.

There is a whole lot of "I" in your post with little historical content to back your ideas. Sorry if not doing racial profiling is an inconvenience to you at the airport.

BTW... middle eastern is not a race. The area of question has a lot of people from asian, persian, arabs, even white bloodlines (too many too list). One of my fears is that we will degrade back to racial profiling of just dark skinned individuals. A state that has lead this country down a dark path in past decades. Not to mention that white individuals have bombed as well.... what about those.

A coworker of mine was held up in England for 6 weeks (in the process of immigration). He's 3rd generation english who works in the states. He was held up because he carries the last name of a Pakistani descent. Not only is he English but Pakistan is historically an ally to the U.S (as with the UK). It didn't leave him with a good impression of the country he wishes to start a new life.

11. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow... and that coming from someone that has an avatar of a dark skinned man in a turban.

Why don't we start with you then? How would that make you feel? Not good, I am sure.

Racial profiling is useless and a waste of time. You will find members of the caucasion race both anti and pro sympathetic to the cause of the terrorists. That is not politics, that is a simple truth.

Only the ignorant use profiling as any kind of a "proven" method to weed out true issues and problems. Heck, the last suicide bombing in the middle east was claimed on CNN as being done by a fair skinned woman!

Damn the thought of profiling makes me ill. Let's all assume that anyone with a good tan or naturally dark skin and a foreign name is a terrorist... no, thank-you, that is just wrong on so many levels.

12. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jerry, while I wholeheartedly disagree with your post and think you're completely wrong, I'm not going to go on here about it in order to keep the thread alive.

I think that a little common sense being employed is the answer, not blanket bans on activities.