Pentax 645

poker_jake

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to a pawnshop to browse (a favorite of wife and mine, can't beat DVDs for a $1) and saw a Pentax 645. Decided to look at it and it appeared in great shape but they were asking $450 with a 2.8 75mm. I would love to get into medium format for landscapes and portraits but have a few questions.

1. How hard is it to find 120 or 220 film?

2. Is it hard to find a developer and scanner?

3. Is this a decent deal? I've seen 645's on ebay for sub $300 and 645N's for about $450

4. Is there a different system that would be better? I've read about the backs not being removable so you have to finish a roll of film before changing types of film.

Any other advice would be great. I looked through the viewfinder and fell in love with the size of it.

120 film is not hard to find. it's not at your local drugstore or 7-11 but it's widely available online. I have 3 places within a 45 minute drive that carry 120 film and chems for proc. color or b/w. forget 220.
I suspect scanners are available also on the internet.
$450 sounds too high to me. I paid $250 for a Bronica 645 with lens, 120 back, speedgrip, AE finder and a bunch of other acc.
Are they willing to come down a bit on that price ? I bet they won't get a lot of offers.

120 film is not hard to find. it's not at your local drugstore or 7-11 but it's widely available online. I have 3 places within a 45 minute drive that carry 120 film and chems for proc. color or b/w. forget 220.
$450 sounds too high to me. I paid $250 for a Bronica 645 with lens, 120 back, speedgrip, AE finder and a bunch of other acc.
Are they willing to come down a bit on that price ? I bet they won't get a lot of offers.

I'm going to head back tomorrow and try and talk them down, that is if the wife lets me...

How hard is it to process your own film? What do you do for a darkroom?

1. How hard is it to find 120 or 220 film?

Still easy to find around here.... many shops are slow to process because they now send it out. B&W you can process yourself.

2. Is it hard to find a developer and scanner?

Still available.. also check freestyle

As for scanner, negative scanners for 120/220 can be expensive. I recommend the Epson 700/750 as an alternative. My initial review of the scanner as follows. Coincidentally, the medium format samples were taken with my Pentax 645.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/62119-epson-v700-experiences.html

3. Is this a decent deal? I've seen 645's on ebay for sub $300 and 645N's for about $450

Not sure.. I haven't checked in a while. Doesn't sound bad

4. Is there a different system that would be better? I've read about the backs not being removable so you have to finish a roll of film before changing types of film.

Yup.. The Pentax 645 uses inserts not backs. At 10-15 shots per roll it wasn't that bad... at least for me.

I think the Pentax 645 brings more money than Bronica, since the Bronica brand is dead and gone. I would rather have a MF camera that shoots with interchangeable BACKS that use inserts than the Pentax's NON-interchangeable back system...not being able to change film types or rolls mid-roll defeats one of the main purposes of MF. I bought a Bronica SQ-A system years ago, just so I could shoot 6x6 in 120 or 220, as well as also shoot 645 on 120, OR 35mm panoramic, all with the same body. AND have interchangeable BACKs that used quick-load inserts for the wedding work where I would want to have an insert or two already PRE-loaded, in addition to having multiple spare complete back+ insert set-ups pre-loaded. It's quicker to slap in an insert than remove a back and replace a back. Being able to switch from B&W to color slide or from color neg to color slide in seconds is a BIG plus. Same with being able to switch ISO speeds, OR to have one back for B&W film for scenes that need Normal development, and one back for MINUS development for high-contrast scenes. BACK interchangeability is a net plus. AND if the backs allow you to shoot multiple image FORMATS, it's even better.

For just dunking around, and shooting for fun, the Pentax 645 and its fixed-back setup ought not to be a big issue, BUT...that non-interchangeable back concept never really appealed to me. It was always a cost-cutting measure, in my opinion. Anyway...$450 with a normal lens...seems TOO HIGH to me...espec. in this sucky economy and being pawn-shop.

For just dunking around, and shooting for fun, the Pentax 645 and its fixed-back setup ought not to be a big issue, BUT...that non-interchangeable back concept never really appealed to me. It was always a cost-cutting measure, in my opinion. Anyway...$450 with a normal lens...seems TOO HIGH to me...espec. in this sucky economy and being pawn-shop.

I like the idea of interchangeable backs for color, B&W and different ISOs. Might have to look into the Bronica.

Easy to find 120 around my location as well. As to the price, if that is a 645N then it is petty much in the ball park. If it is an older 645 then the price is a bit high in my opinion.

I'm going to head back tomorrow and try and talk them down, that is if the wife lets me...

How hard is it to process your own film? What do you do for a darkroom?

Processing black and white film is not terribly difficult. color is a whole different matter. I'd have a lab do the color developing.
You only need a "darkroom" for loading the film onto the developing reel. You can do that in a closet or any room that can be made totally dark for a few minutes. After the film is on the reel and in the developing tank the rest can be done in normal lighting conditions. For traditional printing with enlarger and chemicals you do need a "darkroom" big enough for your enlarger and developing trays. If you plan on scanning the negs you don't need a darkroom at all. Like anything else, there's learning curve and you are likely to screw up the loading of the film onto the reel once or twice before you get the hang of it. But after that it's just a matter of proper agitation of the tank at recommended intervals and watching the clock.

poker_jake

I agree with Derrel on what he said concerning the Pentax , I actually turned down a 645 when I was looking for my camera, I went the with the Bronica for the same reasons people get any pro camera. Its a system camera and I wanted to be able to change film from black and white to color simply by changing backs. If I were you I would look for a Mamiya which you can get for less than $450 , or try to find a Bronica. I think Koh's camera is selling ex+ SQ-Ai bodies for $195 and I have seen complete cameras with a lens, back and everything for $300.

If your heart is set on the Pentax I would go in and offer way less than $450. If you are patient and willing to look around you can a lot of times but a complete system from someone getting out of the medium format game for cheap. I traded for mine and I got my camera and 5 lenses with 2 backs for what would have been around $300 in cash value.

Last edited:
Tuffy,

I agree with Derrel on what he said concerning the Pentax , I actually turned down a 645 when I was looking for my camera, I went the with the Bronica for the same reasons people get any pro camera. Its a system camera and I wanted to be able to change film from black and white to color simply by changing backs. If I were you I would look for a Mamiya which you can get for less than $450 , or try to find a Bronica. I think Koh's camera is selling ex+ SQ-Ai bodies for $195 and I have seen complete cameras with a lens, back and everything for $300.

If your heart is set on the Pentax I would go in and offer way less than $450. If you are patient and willing to look around you can a lot of times but a complete system from someone getting out of the medium format game for cheap. I traded for mine and I got my camera and 5 lenses with 2 backs for what would have been around $300 in cash value.

SamSpade, it's not me looking at the Pentax, it's poker_jake. I have the Bronica myself. Just got it a few weeks ago. got the body, 75mm lens, AE-II metered prism finder, speedgrip and some other accessories for $250. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Pentax makes good cameras but I think that the non-interchangeable back and the price tag would be deal breakers for me. I'd love to have one of the old Pentax 6x7 cameras though. those things were built like tanks.

Tuffy,

SamSpade, it's not me looking at the Pentax, it's poker_jake. I have the Bronica myself. Just got it a few weeks ago. got the body, 75mm lens, AE-II metered prism finder, speedgrip and some other accessories for $250. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Pentax makes good cameras but I think that the non-interchangeable back and the price tag would be deal breakers for me. I'd love to have one of the old Pentax 6x7 cameras though. those things were built like tanks.

My Bad sorry ... I would love to have the metered Prism you have. You got an awesome deal, I think the Bronica's are an awesome deal . In fact I really want a winder and metered prism.

In 2001 I bought a used Pentax 645 and 75mm lens, bracket and lumedyne head and power pack for $1200 for work. In 2003 I sold the Pentax 645 for $300 to go digital. I liked the 645 but prefered the hassys we used at weddings because of the interchangable backs and square format. For landscapes I love the 6x7 format. I recently bought a mamiya RB67 and I'm having a lot of success. I processed all my black and white at home because temp control is easier. I will be developing my own C41 and E6 as well. I just bought a underwater heater and supplies to maintain a constant water temp for the color and slide film processing. It may work, it may not, but it is fun trying. :) I did a search on TPF for scanner recommendations. I bought the Epson V700 but I read good things about the V600 and V500.

Thanks for all the advice. I went back and offered $250 and they wouldn't take lower than $400 so I passed. I'm going to look into a bronica setup or the mamiya.

Are you stuck on the 645 format? This is only about twice as big as a 35mm negative.

You can go 6x7 for pretty much the same money and the negs are about 5 time the size of a 35mm.

The lenses do tend to be faster on the 645 but unless you are shooting a moving target or are concerned about getting 16 shots per roll as opposed to 10 bigger is better. ;)

Mike_E said:
Are you stuck on the 645 format? This is only about twice as big as a 35mm negative.

You can go 6x7 for pretty much the same money and the negs are about 5 time the size of a 35mm.

The lenses do tend to be faster on the 645 but unless you are shooting a moving target or are concerned about getting 16 shots per roll as opposed to 10 bigger is better. ;)

I looked at 6x7 and it caught my eye. Can you point me in a direction of a good system?

Most reactions

Back