Pentax K20D or Nikon D300??

sunbeam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this site. It seems like an amazing place for information, advice, and critiques!

I have a question for those who care to answer. :) I currently have a Pentax K100D super, and feel that I am outgrowing it. I have also been getting alot of requests from people to do weddings, family portraits etc, and would love to eventually start my own studio. So, I would like to upgrade my camera. I've been researching as much as I can, and I've kind of narrowed it down to Pentax K20D, because I am familiar with pentax, and love the fact that ALL their lenses can be used on any pentax camera, and the price is great. OR the NIKON D300.....

So, any suggestions out there? Pentax, or Nikon? Would love some educated opinions, and I look forward to getting to know some of you! Thanks so much
Sam

D300!!!

I have no real basis for that, I'm just a Nikon wh^H^H^H... I like Nikon a lot. :)

Seems if you already have equipment in the pentax line it might make sense to stay there. Lots of people love 'em. I can't speak to them personally. It's a fun problem to have, though. Good luck with it!

The D300 is the king of ergonomics and handling, which is why it would be my choice. But, since you already have Pentax gear, the K20D is probably the best option for you, and it looks pretty close the D300 in terms of handling.

if you have a bunch of lenses already i'd stick with pentax...
if you just have a kit lens, and are interested in trying out a new system, the D300 seems like a fantastic camera. (i cant even afford to look at them, so im basing this totally on what i've heard others say) :D

Thanks for the input! I only have the kit lenses for my Pentax. I didn't want to expand my lens collection, because I knew I'd want to upgrade cameras. So, it looks like the nikon is winning this one? ;)

Steph, I hadn't ever heard of the K7?! Is it out yet?

I have been recommending the K20D as a first camera just because its a good deal for the money. I know it has it faults as others do. But it also has some advantages other cameras for the same price or higher don't.

But if you are moving into the pro field. I think the Pentax would be just fine for weddings and such. But I can't fault anyone who has learned to use a camera to its capability and want something better. And move to a different system. Although you know there is a new Pentax comming out right? K-7. That would be my question for the post K-7 or D300. I know the answer would be D300 by most, with some 50D from Cannonites thrown in. :mrgreen: Pentax just doesn't have the mainstream following it once had.

I have 2 - D300's :sexywink:

Ya, I definately notice that Pentax is quite the underdog. I personally really like my little pentax, but I guess I just wonder if it will 'grow' with me as well as a Nikon would? But man, it seems like the K20D is just soooo well priced for what it has to offer! And their lenses are pretty decently priced as well! That's what's making this decision tough. And now you go and throw in this talk of a K7, and I'm COMPLETELY torn.. ;) I'm going to have to find some info on this K7. Sounds promising!

Nikon D300. Image quality is nothing. I'm sure the Pentax is a solid performer for what you would use it for, so you have to look at the OTHER THINGS that go into a camera purchase: ergonomics, lens and first part accessories (and cost), second-hand market (I think a great number maybe even half/half shop primarily through the used lens bin) and on camera features.

Also, that K7 is new and wont be out until July.

But man, it seems like the K20D is just soooo well priced for what it has to offer! And their lenses are pretty decently priced as well!

Thats my thinking behind recommending the K20D for new photographers that have no intentions of going pro. Yes this camera or that does this faster, or does this. But they pack so much into the Pentax. It does things others don't until you get into the higher price ranges. And like you said, you can mount any Pentax lens on them. It's like the 18-200 of camera bodies. It's not perfect at any single thing. But it sure does do a decent job with alot features.

Get the Pentax K-7. It's going to spank the d300, and is cheaper, and is smaller, and based on everything I've heard, has amazing ergonomics. It's higher resolution, based on an entirely new sensor, the was developed entirely around better Iq and ISO performance, rather than trying to fit more pixels. It also is supposed to have much improved AF speed and accuracy. It just got announced yesterday, so we'll start getting real world results soon, but teh stats are impressive. It shoots HD video, has 77 weather seals and is designed to work down to -10c. It's going to be sweet, and will be out in July for $1,299 USD.

And to back it up, are the supremely sweet DA* lenses which are incredible, small, fully weather sealed, out-resolve my K20d, and are half the price of L or Nikkor glass. I bought into the Pentax system from the start after doing some research, and couldn't be happier. I think it is fast becoming the best option for anyone amateur to semi-pro, and a serious contender for the professional market.

And now I will get flamed...

And now I will get flamed...

As should anyone who sight unseen recommends a product based on product specs. And I would hope a NEW camera outstrips the performance of two year old tech.

I had a k100d and have now a K20D. The difference between the two bodies is excellent! I'm very pleased with the k20d and think it your best option if you dont want to go pro and have fun with a medium-advanced body...

if you're going to be a photographer as an occupation then get the D300 and start working on your lens collection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back