Photo Cliches you Love to Hate

while things can be overdone, they often become that way because there is something appealing about them. Before digital, coloring prints was very popular and it was fun. I've done selective coloring with oils, pencils and markers. Sepia can be effective too. I'd hate to see all the techniques of the past become unfashionable just because they are "old".

limr said:
Smoooooooth water.

OMG, spot-on Leonore! I always think to myself, in a snarky inner voice, almost every time I see yet another Big Stopper shot (10-stop neutral density filter, for those who have been living in a cave since the web site 500px came onto the interwebs...), that the advertising for them ought to have a slogan, like: "The Big Stopper--creativity you can just thread on!" Available in all sizes from 37.5mm to 122mm filter threads! Creativity--all it takes is Time! The more time, the more creativity! Buy The Big Stopper today!

limr said:
Smoooooooth water.

OMG, spot-on Leonore! I always think to myself, in a snarky inner voice, almost every time I see yet another Big Stopper shot (10-stop neutral density filter, for those who have been living in a cave since the web site 500px came onto the interwebs...), that the advertising for them ought to have a slogan, like: "The Big Stopper--creativity you can just thread on!" Available in all sizes from 37.5mm to 122mm filter threads! Creativity--all it takes is Time! The more time, the more creativity! Buy The Big Stopper today!

Well I'm just off to the B&H website to get one right now. I want to be all kinds of creative. With all that time on my hands while being creative I can surf TPF or have a beer or something.

while things can be overdone, they often become that way because there is something appealing about them. Before digital, coloring prints was very popular and it was fun. I've done selective coloring with oils, pencils and markers. Sepia can be effective too. I'd hate to see all the techniques of the past become unfashionable just because they are "old".

The issue is that the appealing photos within the cliche (before it became a cliche) were generally produced by professionals and other highly skilled individuals. Like HDR. Everybody saw these spectacular hyper-real HDR images on blogs and decided they wanted to create the same things. However, their lack of skill combined with their lack of visual acuity meant that the web became inundated with "bad" HDR images.

As a result, everybody came to expect the "bad" HDR any time anyone brought the technique up.

Some cliches are nice when done well, generally in such a way that the photo itself is so good that you almost don't even recognize it as a cliche.

Bad cliched photos are derivative or appropriated. Good cliched photos are, in my eyes, more of a tribute to the original spirit of the cliche; what made it appealing in the first place.

An image in which someone who thinks ROT has to be followed takes the one dominant element in the frame (sometimes the only element) and places it 1/3 of the way from one side, thereby creating an unbalanced image that makes no sense.

An image in which someone who thinks ROT has to be followed takes the one dominant element in the frame (sometimes the only element) and places it 1/3 of the way from one side, thereby creating an unbalanced image that makes no sense.

So what we really need is a contest to see who can combine the most cliches in one photograph.. lol

So what we really need is a contest to see who can combine the most cliches in one photograph.. lol

Good idea, but I think it would hurt too much to try it.

I think photos with people In them are totally cliche now.

Any selfie. Especially taken in the bathroom mirror with a cell phone.

Sparky, It's not in a bathroom mirror or taken with a cell phone. But it's a selfie and b&w, lol.

20842582456_db735b1e02_c.jpg

Wooden letter blocks on a baby bump, mums making a heart shape with their index fingers and thumbs against baby bump, people asking how to shoot a bokeh shot the list is endless

Oh, I am reminded of another one; (although not restricted to photography) that HUGE headdress on a baby girl. Big as her head in some cases.

As opposed to placing it dead center? :D

Somewhat a reverse........mentioning that overcooked HDR is "Not My Taste". Ughhhh Actually, mentioning anything is "Not My Taste" or "Not My Thing".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back