Photo Realistic Drawings/Paintings

Discussion in 'The Creative Corner' started by CandySvoboda, May 7, 2013.

1. Compaq

Compaq Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What's your work flow for the pencil ones? What do you focus on during outlining features, etc.?

2. CandySvoboda

CandySvoboda TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always sketch out a general shape first and get my proportions correct
    I start off by rubbing a 9b pencil on a cotton ball or cotton make up pad (The circular kind you can find at the grocery store/supermarket/etc)
    I lay down a light even layer wherever there is skin and that gives me the base skin tone
    Then I focus on the eyes and work outwards from there (to the nose, cheeks, mouth, etc)
    Once that is complete, I start on the hair by drawing in some basic lines to get the shape of the hair down
    Then I use a mechanical pencil to define strands
    Next, I add shadows into the hair followed by highlights with a battery operated eraser that I have sharpened into a point
    Finally, I work on clothing last because that is pretty much the most boring part to me :lol:
    At the very end I will sometimes add a dark outline around the whole outside of the form to give the drawing some pop out of the background (which I almost always leave white)

And that's pretty much how I do it. I hope that helped! I've been thinking of doing one of those "speed drawing" videos where I set up a camera over my shoulder and then speed it up during editing....but I'm completely lost when it comes to all things video

• Like Like x 1
  3. Compaq

Compaq Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting, much like myself. How do you lay your first layer of tones precisely with your cotton pads? Or do you simply erase everything outside your outline?

I used my fingers first, then moved to q-tips. Now, on the few occasions I draw, I use those compressed-paper pencils, and sometimes q-tips around eyes and other critical areas.

4. annamaria

annamaria Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow these are really good!!

5. Empiric

Empiric TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice works, I always envied this level of skill, but even more the patience the artist must have to accomplish something like this, good job.

6. Wyverntales

Wyverntales TPF Noob!

Really nice work. More realistic than most of what I do. I feel I don't draw people very well. I'm never pleased with my own results. I just stick to nature and mythology themes... it feels safer. Haha. I feel in a similar way about Deviantart. I made an account there and it's not quite what I thought it would be.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Those are excellent. I have seen your work on the web in the past.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk