Photographing dyed fabric

saddened_dye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am a graduate student looking to improve the documentation of my art work.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on photographing dyed fabrics? My work is comprised of silk paintings (on Habotai) done with silk dyes, linen and cotton paintings done with fiber reactive dyes, and dye paintings + prints on terrycloth (towel) done with fiber-reactive dyes.

It feels like each fabric would pose a particular problem, such as the luster of the silk or the texture of the terrycloth.

I’m aiming for photographs that best document the color and texture of the fabrics I’ve painted. Mainly wondering about lighting.

How big are the pieces?

Anywhere from 8” x 11” to 36” x 36

Your best bet would be a copy stand either purchased or DIY that holds the camera perpendicular to the print and two lights, one on each side, with a 35mm macro lens.
download.jpeg

Hi,

I am a graduate student looking to improve the documentation of my art work.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on photographing dyed fabrics? My work is comprised of silk paintings (on Habotai) done with silk dyes, linen and cotton paintings done with fiber reactive dyes, and dye paintings + prints on terrycloth (towel) done with fiber-reactive dyes.

It feels like each fabric would pose a particular problem, such as the luster of the silk or the texture of the terrycloth.

I’m aiming for photographs that best document the color and texture of the fabrics I’ve painted. Mainly wondering about lighting.
For the sizes you're talking about, I like to mount artwork on a vertical board or wall, height depending upon whether I'm sitting or standing, and the type of finder I wish to use on my camera. My lights are usually 5,000K LED household bulbs in 8" or 12" clamp-light reflectors on either side, at whatever distance and angle produces the desired effect. If I encounter glare, I'll use a polarizer over the lens, the lights, or both lens and lights, whatever it takes. A 35mm full frame equivalent focal length of about 75-90mm works pretty well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back