Photographing the President

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pres. Bush is gonna be making a visit to my college this week, and it looks like i'm gonna have a chance to shoot some photos (thanks to the yearbook). I've also been asked by the local paper to take shots. Anyone got any suggestions on something like this?

I would say use the best telephoto lens you have, and bring a small folding stepstool to stand on so you can get a good vantage point. There's a good chance that even if you're a designated photographer you aren't going to be able to get very close.

If you're indoors go before hand to check out what the lighting is like and take some test shots to determine your best ISO for the lighting.

I had the opportunity (gag) to see Lady Bush, which I did take up for the photographic experience. My system was limited back in September, so I just used a Maxxum 70 Date with standard 28-100 lens. I couldn't get any closeups, except when she came around for handshakes, but I did get excellent shots. The guys at the pro shop were amazed it came from a just a camera like that (and they made some real nice high gloss prints of it) I'll post one or two if you want.

BUT ANYWAY, heh, I also had a very high power flash coupled with Fuji Superia 800 film. They looked great, but a flash is only good for such a distance. I would recommend a longer lens, but keep the 800 film unless you want anything bigger than an 8x12 reprint. And, run like a madman and push your way through the line - but not too obviously or Secret Service will own you!

Sorry for the short post, I'm off to school, I'll post more if I think about it.

See if you can introduce yourself to the security staff before the visit. They will scout out the location to check for sniper points, bombs etc. beforehand. If you can get on their good side then you've got a real chance of getting closer to your subject and getting a great shot.

Good luck!

Just shoot some monkeys at the zoo. Very similar looking, I'm not sure if anyone will tell the difference :p

I thought about it, but the gas to get to the nearest zoo wouldn't really be worth it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back