Photomatix / HDR basic question

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am brand new to using Photomatix (as you'll be able to tell from this question :D )

When creating an HDR, or performing exposure blending, I understand that you start with three exposures of the same image.

I shoot my important stuff in RAW. Do I bring the three RAW images into Photomatix? Or do I first convert them to JPGs or TIFFs?

If I convert them first, do I do any sort of processing of the RAW image before sending it into Photomatix?

Or, do HDR folks just shoot their three exposures in JPG and not mess with RAW.

Thanks,

Jon

You have to convert them first, Photomatrix doesn't recognize RAW files.

I always shoot in RAW, that gives me the option (later) to create different exposures if I choose to do so.

Also, don't limit yourself to 3 images - try 5 or even more for a greater effect. There's really no set way to do it, just play around until it looks good to you.

Paintshop Pro Photo Editor X2 also does HDR conversion.

If you get the Ultimate version, You can do HDR with RAW images.

try 5 or even more for a greater effect.

How is this done when my Nikon (and most other cameras) only bracket maximum three exposures?

try 5 or even more for a greater effect.

How is this done when my Nikon (and most other cameras) only bracket maximum three exposures?

Put the camera in completely manual mode and adjust the shutter speed for each shot.

Or buy a Sony camera that can do up to 5 shots .7 EV's apart, or 3 shots 2 EV's (as well as a wide range less than that).

Doesn't say on your profile your camera.

On my D90 when I do want 5 images for bracketing.

I set my bracketing for EV1 (Front finger wheel). Take a series of 3 (EV0, EV+1, EV-1). Then I change to EV2 (EV0, EV+2, EV-2) and take 3 more images. I take the better of the two EV0 images and use the two groups for my HDR work.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could take images at 1.5 and .5 also and get 7 or 9 images.

Doesn't say on your profile your camera.

Sorry about that. Nikon D80. I'm thinking 3 exposures would be enough for my needs.

So, with regard to the RAW images, which sequence is optimal:

1. Import three differently-exposed RAW images (as shot) into Photomatix, combine into one image, save as JPG, edit in PS.

2. First tweak these three RAW images (leaving the exposures untouched), then import into Photomatix, combine, save as JPG, edit in PS.

3. Edit three RAW images (except exposure), save as JPGs, import into Photomatix, combine into one image, edit in PS.

I'm sure there are more possibilities.

Thanks to all,

Jon

I prefer 'natural' HDR so my opinion may vary from others... but what I do is leave the image unedited and do the mix, then if needed (usually isn't) I'll bring it into either Photoshop, Lightroom or even Picasa for some quick adjustments.

This is 5 images in Paintshop Pro Photoediter X2 Ultimate. It's seeming the more definition you can have between images, the greater "detail" you can put into the pictures.

I haven't done anything with RAW yet.

I still need to figure out how to get the sky one color. I also learned in this one.

ALWAYS Preview your pictures BEFORE you combine them. One image had the blemish above the right hand handle. As such, it carried into the final product too.

I actually just combined and then processed them in PSP. PSP allows you to browse "by time" those images you want to select. You can select up to about 15 seconds between images. It selects them and lets you choose.

I can write more of the process I do later if wanted.

spreader.jpg

Last edited:
I might have removed the top of the barn to the right, but that is a very nice image.

Good work, Farmer.

Jon

Most reactions

Back