Photos from the monarch butterfly migration

Beautiful set and stunning moment to capture.

wow ..they are awesome..is this a regular migration event,

Thanks. Yes the monarch’s migrate annually ro the US from Mexico then back to Mexico in September. Have not seen a single monarch this year - they’re late. Probably due to the weird weather we’ve had.

Stunning photos!

Thanks!

I didn't know you could see them in migration, Those shots look like the ones in Mexico where the final place is located. Where did you shoot these?

These were taken is Salisbury which is on the northern coast of Massachusetts.

Thanks it was pretty amazing to see. Now we’re waiting for them to show up this year. Their numbers are dropping due to their host plant becoming harder to find. Monarchs only lay eggs on and the caterpillars only eat milkweed, until they turn into butterflies.

We're about at the half way mark from the beginning of the migration in Canada to the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary Biosphere Reserve in Michoacan, Mexico. They become mosaic draperies for about three days, then, in small groups, once the sun has dried their wings, off they go across the Gulf of Mexico. Their landing zone is on my bucket list.

Thank you. Definitely in my top 10 photography moments!

We're about at the half way mark from the beginning of the migration in Canada to the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary Biosphere Reserve in Michoacan, Mexico. They become mosaic draperies for about three days, then, in small groups, once the sun has dried their wings, off they go across the Gulf of Mexico. Their landing zone is on my bucket list.
Do you mean from Mexico to Canada? There’s a migration tracker site online but I seem to have lost the bookmark. Will have to google and see if I can find it.

these photos are just wonderful to see, it must have been such a great experience to see in person,,,,,

I did misquote saying they left here and flew across the Gulf of Mexico, when in reality, they follow the coastline across to Texas and down to Mexico.

617c69a2ca744b051931be2e3534b994--monarch-butterfly-migration-winter-homes.jpg

these photos are just wonderful to see, it must have been such a great experience to see in person,,,,,

I did misquote saying they left here and flew across the Gulf of Mexico, when in reality, they follow the coastline across to Texas and down to Mexico.

I just meant that they are on the way north now, not south.

thank you. there has been a massive decline in butterflies here in the UK. I've only seen half a dozen this year!
Find out what type of butterflies are native to your area and plant the host plants - you’ll soon see them show up! I planted parsley and fennel this year for black swallowtails and within a few weeks the plants were full of caterpillars!

1688650471505.jpeg

Fantastic set. Keep them coming.

I didn't realize southern Florida was a breeding range too like Mexico. What areas down in Florida do they congregate where you can see them like on the Mexican trees?

I didn't realize southern Florida was a breeding range too like Mexico. What areas down in Florida do they congregate where you can see them like on the Mexican trees?
We see them all over the Gulf Coast. In my area, at St Marks NWR over near Wakulla Springs, and I see a lot of them at the St Andrews State Park, but after the Hurricane (Michael in 2018) they have been a bit more sparse as their natural habitats have all but disappeared.

15516175029_93b01e5d95_b.jpg

that's a hell of a journey for a butterfly 🦋

Most reactions

Back