Photos of my 17 month old son - CC more than welcome

ORourkeK

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All - Haven't been on in a while since having to sell my equipment. I finally was able to purchase a camera again (D5300) and took it out for a spin today. Boy did I miss it. CC is always welcome. I am still having trouble getting perfect focus. These were all shot between 100 iso, 2.8 aperture (perhaps this is causing the fuzziness?), and 1/500 to 1/1000 shutter speed.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

On the first two, your foreground (your son) is underexposed, while the background is overexposed. I can't really help with the focus thing - wonder if your camera is simply focusing on a spot you don't want?

Why f2.8? That is definitely your issue. If you pan around the large version of the image, you can clearly find the point of focus, and the acceptably sharp area is very shallow. My suggestion would be work in the f5.6 - 8 range until you're more comfortable nailing focus (FWIW, I like single point AF), and then practice shooting at larger apertures.

Thank you both for the comments. I have a habit of like the over exposed background so I will really have to make an effort to adjust that. As far as the 2.8 goes, I also have a bad habit of trying to create an out of focus background that I end up hurting the quality of my focus. I also have to start using the single point focus system.

The biggest plus of digital photography is: The film is free! In other words, shoot lots... practice, practice, practice. Work on getting solid focus with a greater DoF, and once you can nail that, then start opening up.

That is very true. I need to start taking advantage of that and practicing more. I really appreciate the advise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back