Photoshop and Photography!

hmmmm okay!

I just have to change my mindset.

I used to think using PS is similar to seeking help from bystanders when one is crippled. I should consider PS as an integral part of the digital photo making process.

danalec99 said:
I should consider PS as an integral part of the digital photo making process.

I don't think you have to consider the use of any technique or equipment essential, just possible.

There are many photographers with very different ideas that consider themselves "purists"; they choose to limit themselves to certain equipment and techniques, and if that's what works for them then that's great.

Other folks bring in ideas that begin blurring what we might consider the definition of photography with other art forms; this doesn't keep it from also being photography.

What is it that we should strive for?

1. Get the clearest vision that a lens could get

and/or

2. Create a visual treat by any means (PS or similar tools)?

danalec99 said:

1. Get the clearest vision that a lens could get

and/or

2. Create a visual treat by any means (PS or similar tools)?
Well, that's what we have been discussing in this thread. It just depends on what your goal is in photography. If your goal is to get perfect pictures from accepted traditional photography methods then that's your goal. On the other hand if you goal is to get the exact picture you invisioned in your head using whatever means you can get then that's your goal.

I don't know if this is your first venture into the art fields, but if you are waiting for us to tell you what to do then what you will create is just a carbon copy of what we tell you. Sure, you can learn techiques, strategies, and copying someone's style is a good way to learn but the ultimate decision lies in you the photographer. You need to decide for yourself whether using PS will help or hinder your pictures or if it goes against a "purist" philosophy you have.

Most of the great photographers and artists I've seen use rules as only guidlines and do whatever is necessary to make the art they want. If that means being a "purist" and not touching things like Photoshop then to each thier own, but usually the more tools you have to play with the better chance you have to create the exact art you want.

Of course, not everyone is going to like your work but as long as you like it then I think that's all that matters....well, unless you are going to sell your work then you have to think about how others like it. Like I said it depends on what you want to get from photography.

Some people like the challenge of being a purist or some of them think of it almost like a "religion" and thou shall not use PS for "real" photography. There's really no right or wrong. It's more of a personal preference. Although I personal believe you should always try to get the best pictures in camera first because it not only means less work later but some things can't be corrected well in PS. I can't tell you how many pictures I had to give up on because PS couldn't fully fix the problem. PS isn't the holy grail for perfect pictures. It does have it's limitations.

danalec99 said:

To create that which moves your soul.

Do you want to be a rich and famous photographer? Then any boobie snapshot of Britney Spears will do.

If you have no personal satisfaction in your work, then it doesn't matter if they are lining up around the block to tell you how cool you are.

If you find satifaction, even joy in your work, then it does not matter if no one else does.

ksmattfish wrote:
To create that which moves your soul.

I agree.

But IF I am going to be in the commercial arena, I think I will be forced in moving someone else's soul :); at least for starters!

Was at Boston this weekend....
Was disappointed with the pictures!!

As I was mentioning it in another post, I know it needs lots of practice to get the picture better.

But I think I'm starting to slowly fall in love with Photoshop. :)
I love it when I see the picture desaturates!! Its one amazing phenomenon!!!

Yes, I now see where Photoshop steps in. I was totally on the wrong side of the picture, where I thought PS was a life saver.

This had been a very helpful thread![/i]

I have placed some of the pics that I like in the album titled 'trying out bw' (www.fotki.com/zestfulpuma)

Your constructive critisisms/thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Some very interesting shots in that b&w album, danalec.

Your eye is developing very nicely! I was really intrigued by some of those shots. I especially liked Boston 044-bw, 038-bw, and "decay."

Being at work, I didn't have time to really look at all of them, so I concentrated on the 1st page.

Very nice work! You're building quite a portfolio.

drlynn said:
Some very interesting shots in that b&w album, danalec.

Your eye is developing very nicely! I was really intrigued by some of those shots. I especially liked Boston 044-bw, 038-bw, and "decay."

Being at work, I didn't have time to really look at all of them, so I concentrated on the 1st page.

Very nice work! You're building quite a portfolio.

What a way to start a day!! Thank you drlynn :)

I initially was depressed with the boston results. But 'desaturation' made me make a severe U turn!
Love the raw power of b&w. Even though we simply call it black and white, I feel it is richly packed with many different shades of both the color.

Re. the pics you mentioned:
I feel "decay" could have been more sharper!
"044-bw" was sheer luck
"038-bw" - She was not posing. We were really figuring out the schedule for the next day! :)

I observe the works in www.magnumphotos.com(click on 'Photographers' to see their astounding works), and markc's site (http://www.markcarpenter.com/gallery/albums.php).

Certainly do have miles to go!

I'm sorry. There was an error in my prev. mail. When I said 038-bw, I actually meant, 061-bw. 061-bw is that shot that she did not pose for.

I got the 038-bw frame while we were driving on State st.!

i have done some multiple exposures in the darkroom i flooded a mall it loooks soooo tite but i aint got a scanner to scan it here otherwise id post it... but we did it for class no one elses came close to mine i was so proud :) just the spacing and everything worked out sooo well its soo much fun and feels so awsome to do that in the darkroom it also takes a lotta patience took like 10 pieces of paper to get my final print also im not sure if uelsmann did it this way but i know you can just do it however i dont typically like ther result but u can just take two shots on the same neg... but yes i agree photoshop is just a sign of the times i like it because some of my color negs can be turned into bw which looks good but i also respect the darkroom so its cool haha

danalec99 said:
I'm sorry. There was an error in my prev. mail. When I said 038-bw, I actually meant, 061-bw. 061-bw is that shot that she did not pose for.

You know, if you make a mistake in your post you can just hit edit, in the top left hand side of the actual post and you can make changes to the original post.

It saves the forum from being bogged down.

wwjoeld said:
danalec99 said:
You know, if you make a mistake in your post you can just hit edit, in the top left hand side of the actual post and you can make changes to the original post.
It saves the forum from being bogged down.

I apologize for my ignorance!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back