photoshop/good printer

yayaroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
what is a good resolution so when you print on an 8.5x11 the pictures are not so pixelated? and what are some real good photo printers that won't break my bank or will?:meh:

8.5 x 11 is not a standard photograph print size. That would be 8x10 or 8x12.

A good place to get quality prints made is www.mpix.com and here is a link to their guide (including a resolution chart) for how you need to prepare your images:

Mpix.com - Help

"not so pixelated?" this sounds like you've tried to print before. A good resolution for comfortable arms lens held prints would be 300ppi. so 300x8.5 = 2550 and 300x11 = 3300.

Multiply the two together and you get 8.4megapixels. Now that said a lot of people would not notice if you dropped this to 250ppi or even 200ppi in some cases.

For an 8 x 10...anywhere from 250 to 300 dpi is great for printing....I print all of my large work at 400...maybe a little overkill...but the output is always fantastic...

An Epson 2880 is a great printer that isn't insanely expensive...you can print up to 13 x 19 single sheets or 13 x 44 using a roll....

Mine cost $1000 CAD...:mrgreen:

For an 8 x 10...anywhere from 250 to 300 dpi is great for printing....I print all of my large work at 400...maybe a little overkill...but the output is always fantastic...

An Epson 2880 is a great printer that isn't insanely expensive...you can print up to 13 x 19 single sheets or 13 x 44 using a roll....

Mine cost $1000 CAD...:mrgreen:
Here is where it gets confusing.

The trouble is that pixels per inch (ppi) and dots per inch (dpi) are not the same thing, though they are often used interchangably.

If you are printing your own images it's benifical to understand the dpi performance of your printing equipment.

A photographic image printed at 300 ppi is printed by an inkjet printer working at about 2400 dpi, depending on the printer.

Basically an inkjet printer renders a single photographic pixel by making an 8 x 8 box of ink squirt lines which aren't really dots, but 8 lines x 300 ppi = 2400, which is where my 2400 number comes from.

Dots per inch refers to offset printing processes that actually make dots using screens to make images appear to be a continuous tone print, which is what inkjet printers do.

Most commercial photographic printers don't exceed 250 ppi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back