Picture won't always take with new lens

jmwe29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I came looking for a photo forum to help us out with a problem. We have a Nikon D60 and have been using zoom lenses with no problems- a 200mm and a 300mm. We just got a 500mm, specifically a Sigma 50-500mm 1:4-6.3 APO DG HSM D and were all excited about getting some eagle pictures before they head back north. The lens is NOT autofocus. More often than not, the camera would tick-tick-tick, but wouldn't actually take a picture. Sun came out so there was plenty of light. He tried every setting on the dial, but couldn't find one that would work. Any ideas what we're doing wrong?

According to the sigma website the lens you have should auto focus with the D60
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

So first thing I would do is clean the contacts on the lens and the camera - these are the little copper coloured strips on the base of the lens and on the inside of the camera lens mount. Just clean them with something - the eraser end of a pencil is a good option for this.

If that fails to clear the issue I would consider returning the lens under warrenty and having it looked at as there might be a fault with the lens. Sigma do have some quality control issues with their lens production but normally its a case of soft results rather than what you describe. (I will also add that even canon can't make a superzoom lens without production problems - eg the 100-400mm).

Most reactions

Back