playing with b&w conversions

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just trying to find a good coversion method. subjects may not be best, but please offer any thoughts you may have on the result:

17289833-L.jpg

17289835-L.jpg

17289837-L.jpg

17288803-L.jpg

Fantastic results...the contrast & tones are great. I especially like the 3rd one.

I really like the first. What are you using for these? I've been using the channel mixer, greyscale mapping and Mystical TTC which is basically like the channel mixer but a little easier for me to use. I think black and white is the one area that makes me see the difference between film and digital the most.

hmm I'm not a fan of b&w but the 17288803-L.jpg shot is great!

JonMikal :hail: :hail: :hail: My fav is number 3. Dont get me wrong all are GREAT!!!! But I really like # 3

AlisonS said:
I really like the first. What are you using for these? I've been using the channel mixer, greyscale mapping and Mystical TTC which is basically like the channel mixer but a little easier for me to use. I think black and white is the one area that makes me see the difference between film and digital the most.

i used a very simple method i happened upon like in the "searching" thread i posted the other day. goes like this;

i created a hue and sat layer but made no adjustments. i then created another hue and sat layer changing the blending mode to color and adjusting sat to -100. i then returned to the first hue and sat layer and adjusted the hue to +27. thats it. in the first image, in addition to the +27 hue, i added +73 to the sat which pushed the bright areas. i found that playing with the sat it tends to look a bit infared.

i've also found that doing a simple adjustment in channel mixer (+100 red and checking monochrome) yields excellent results. i would increase contrast and/or saturation before applying this one.

i also have a more lengthy process which i'll post later that is awesome.

thanks for the comments. :D

g'work jon. Snow is always hard to get tonality - get it too white and the scene is bleached, get it too dark and the snow looks dirty. These are looking good :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back