Playing with Speed and ISO

gpardo64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After a lot of tests with different speeds and ISOs look the pic that we got this morning. I think we took more 100 pics until finally we got the one below. Any input is appreciated.

1. Here it is another try fixing the background issue. This time sun was used as lighthing.
4285644284_9885dee689_b.jpg

4281861419_a6e867a1ee_b.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty good photo. Kudos for all the work.

Are those wet spots on the background?

It's to bad the entire background isn't blue. The blue/brown line is splitting the strawberry. That, and the glass might haved looked better if the outside of it had been dried off from your previous attempts.

Pretty good photo. Kudos for all the work.

Are those wet spots on the background?

It's to bad the entire background isn't blue. The blue/brown line is splitting the strawberry. That, and the glass might haved looked better if the outside of it had been dried off from your previous attempts.

Thanks!. Yea the spots are wet marks...
You are right the background should be blue without the brake below.

It needs more work. We'll do another try tomorrow, I hope with a sunny day.

What body was this?

You should be able to use slower than 1/2000 and still freeze that. ISO 400 would still get you 1/1000 and less noise. What was the aperture?

I find the spots of water on the rear to be distracting. Try a white seamless background.

Question, did you use flash on this image? Or some other kind of lighting other than ambient?

This is a really good try though, I like it. The seam in the background really kills it though.

What body was this?

You should be able to use slower than 1/2000 and still freeze that. ISO 400 would still get you 1/1000 and less noise. What was the aperture?

I find the spots of water on the rear to be distracting. Try a white seamless background.

Question, did you use flash on this image? Or some other kind of lighting other than ambient?

This is a really good try though, I like it. The seam in the background really kills it though.

The body is a D5000 and aperture was f5.6

Lighting I think was the difficult part, we used some simple lamps that we had from homedepot.....the camera was always complaining that was too dark.

Thanks for the hints, definitelly we'll try it again to fix at least the background.

Well yeah indoors with no flash you are going to have issues with the camera's meter and the low light. You can try to put a silver reflector under the glass, if you have one. This might get some light up on the strawberry a little more. BUT, the lighting is actually pretty good in your photo.

Another idea, is using a much larger container of water and this way you can crop it after the shot.

I gave it another try. Please see photo 1 in first post.

I tried to fix the issue about the background. This time data was: Speed 1/4000, f9.0 and ISO 800.

I like that one a little bit better.

Why ISO 800? You don't need that in sunlight, and all it's doing is adding more noise to the image.

I like that one a little bit better.

Why ISO 800? You don't need that in sunlight, and all it's doing is adding more noise to the image.

I tried 1/2000 with less ISO, I think it was 500 but it was more difficult to get the splash effect (I am not sure about this? that was my impression), so I decided to get back to 1/4000.

This morning I think we did around 50 attempts? and got only a decent sample which we posted on top.

Thanks anyway for the feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back