Please step away from the HDR with your arms in the air...

I think the thread title was just manaheim's sense of humour coming through. ;)

the idea is to capture a great image. if someone uses HDR techniques fine, but i say, don't lable them as such. i've put up shot's that were done as HDR but not said as much and no one asked, so i didn't say. i like manheims use of it. we rarely explain all the processing we do to an image with none HDR shots, so why bother putting it out there tagged as HDR? post your image, however you came to it, and people can critique or comment as they like. if they ask... tell. if not, the image stands on it's own merits instead of having preconceptions attatched to it.

There is an immense amount of complaining about HDR from every possible side of the argument on this forum. I have no idea why so many people care in the slightest.

It's like you all have a personal stake in all photography mimicking reality perfectly. If someone else takes a bad photograph (in your eyes) why do you care? It's even in a segregated forum, so you wouldn't even have to see it unless you came out of your way to complain about it.

Ever read anything about philosophy? People debate the nature and actions of other people. It's been gong on for a while now. :)

Not that I would hearken the members of TPF to Socrates, but it is human nature to question ourselves and our behaviors... strive for whatever any one of us individually thinks is the better way to do things.

It's really a survival instinct... we want people to bow down to our way of doing things because then we expend less resources in being "right" than we would have to if we changed...

... however, a simpler-minded view on this would be "Most people think they're right and it pisses them off when others are wrong."

<grin>

haha

I think we both know that there is a world of difference between any kind of intellectual debate and complaining about an image processing technique on an internet forum.

Also, I would hesitate on making assumptions about other people's education based on a 5 sentence post. It tends to make you look like an ass.

But on the off chance that you were making a genuine inquiry pertaining to my interest in philosophy, My favorite would probably be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Objectivism is a bit bleak, but it definitly is a lot less dry of a read than most philosophy books. Kierkegaard and Nietzsche are also near and dear to my heart.

Thank you though, for simplifying your post in the end there, so that the rest of us knuckle draggers could follow along.

There is an immense amount of complaining about HDR from every possible side of the argument on this forum. I have no idea why so many people care in the slightest.

It's like you all have a personal stake in all photography mimicking reality perfectly. If someone else takes a bad photograph (in your eyes) why do you care? It's even in a segregated forum, so you wouldn't even have to see it unless you came out of your way to complain about it.

Ever read anything about philosophy? People debate the nature and actions of other people. It's been gong on for a while now. :)

Not that I would hearken the members of TPF to Socrates, but it is human nature to question ourselves and our behaviors... strive for whatever any one of us individually thinks is the better way to do things.

It's really a survival instinct... we want people to bow down to our way of doing things because then we expend less resources in being "right" than we would have to if we changed...

... however, a simpler-minded view on this would be "Most people think they're right and it pisses them off when others are wrong."

<grin>

haha

I think we both know that there is a world of difference between any kind of intellectual debate and complaining about an image processing technique on an internet forum.

Also, I would hesitate on making assumptions about other people's education based on a 5 sentence post. It tends to make you look like an ass.

But on the off chance that you were making a genuine inquiry pertaining to my interest in philosophy, My favorite would probably be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Objectivism is a bit bleak, but it definitly is a lot less dry of a read than most philosophy books. Kierkegaard and Nietzsche are also near and dear to my heart.

Thank you though, for simplifying your post in the end there, so that the rest of us knuckle draggers could follow along.

Philosophy is a farce... and really is not any higher than what happens here. you're correct on one count, there is a world of difference between intellectual debate and complaining about image processing techniques. primarily on the score that true intellectual debate is purely for exercise, and lacking ego (something obviously not lacking around these here parts). that is a far cry from philosophy which is having a warm fuzzy affection for knowledge that gives it's author a feeling of either; A, a sense of superiority over those of more practical mind, or B, a sense of cynical detatched existence, which is in itself a method of setting one's self apart from the "normal folk". philosophy is all about the ego. it's about how one feels about their accumulated knowledge and how that shapes one's wolrd view and actions. that is exactly what is going on here in our rather quaint discussion on the merits of processing techniques; an expounding on our feelings about our accumulated knowledge pertaining to HDR processing, and how those feelings effect our perception of images appearing to have used said process, and as a result how we choose to use that knowledge in our own work.

This post is light on intellectual debate, yet positively pregnant with philosophy.

Last edited:
I think the thread title was just manaheim's sense of humour coming through. ;)

Oh hey... look... SOMEONE on this thread gets it.

haha

Ok, 1... thanks for calling me an ass.

2... I wasn't making any assumptions about your level of education.

3... who was the one making assumptions in this thread, exactly?

Jesus. Get over youself. I was seriously making a light-hearted reference to philosophy because it's kind of funny when you think about it in that way. Is that chip on your shoulder nearly as heavy as it looks? Christ.

Philosophy is a farce... and really is not any higher than what happens here. you're correct on one count, there is a world of difference between intellectual debate and complaining about image processing techniques. primarily on the score that true intellectual debate is purely for exercise, and lacking ego (something obviously not lacking around these here parts). that is a far cry from philosophy which is having a warm fuzzy affection for knowledge that gives it's author a feeling of either; A, a sense of superiority over those of more practical mind, or B, a sense of cynical detatched existence, which is in itself a method of setting one's self apart from the "normal folk". philosophy is all about the ego. it's about how one feels about their accumulated knowledge and how that shapes one's wolrd view and actions. that is exactly what is going on here in our rather quaint discussion on the merits of processing techniques; an expounding on our feelings about our accumulated knowledge pertaining to HDR processing, and how those feelings effect our perception of images appearing to have used said process, and as a result how we choose to use that knowledge in our own work.

This post is light on intellectual debate, yet positively pregnant with philosophy.

That was positively awesome to read. I really enjoyed it.

You all seriously need to calm the frig down, though.

:lol:

Bringing this back to where I started...

READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU PITCH A FIT...

I would again like to point out that what I was MOSTLY JOKINGLY poking fun at was people creating HDRs that look like no more than the same image you could have gotten with a perfectly normal exposure off the camera.

This is NOT...

1. Saying you cannot do HDRs.
2. Saying people who do HDRs are tard-monkeys.
3. Saying that you can't do crazy-ass weird colors and crap with your HDRs.

If people would READ, they would see that my original post CLEARLY stated...

Now can you do an HDR anyway? Well, sure, I guess... but most of the time you spend a lot of effort and either wind up with something that looks bizarro, or frankly just kinda silly.

If you like it, you like it... whatever works for you. I'm just suggesting that folks stop and think carefully about what it is they are trying to do and why.

Are you...

- Trying to get critical detail that would otherwise be lost? or...
- Trying to make a really WILD surreal shot of some kind? or...
- Trying to make an interesting photo out of what would otherwise be kinda a crappy one?

(or maybe something else)

Whatever it is, know about it before you take the shot and start HDRing your buns off. The results will likely be far better.

See, the idea here was to express a bit of an opinion on some things for people to consider before they go into HDR land. Don't like it? Don't listen to me. I'd say it's based off a reasonable amount of experience and at least 1/2 a clue, but hey... I'm just some idiot on the 'net, right? Ignore me for all I care.

I'll just laugh as you take 20 exposures and use a $120 software package to create an HDR of a pair of sneakers, that I could have created with a single exposure and about 10 seconds of my time.

:lmao:

Ok. :thumbup:

Ok, 1... thanks for calling me an ass.

2... I wasn't making any assumptions about your level of education.

3... who was the one making assumptions in this thread, exactly?

Well in regards to 1 and 2, I took this as an insult and an assumption about my education, as to me it seemed positively oozing with condescension.

Jesus. Get over youself. I was seriously making a light-hearted reference to philosophy because it's kind of funny when you think about it in that way. Is that chip on your shoulder nearly as heavy as it looks? Christ.

Well, I suppose the chip on my shoulder is as heavy as it looks. I took your post as something that was meant to be insulting. If that was not the case, then I apologize. I have no intention of creating some kind of flame war, or discussing the merits of philosophy on a thread about an overused photographic trend. To my defense however, I did come here from 4chan's Photography board so I'm used to seeing the majority of replies being motivated by vehement hostility.

Well, I suppose the chip on my shoulder is as heavy as it looks. I took your post as something that was meant to be insulting. If that was not the case, then I apologize. I have no intention of creating some kind of flame war, or discussing the merits of philosophy on a thread about an overused photographic trend. To my defense however, I did come here from 4chan's Photography board so I'm used to seeing the majority of replies being motivated by vehement hostility.

It wasn't even REMOTELY intended to be hostile. Sorry you took it that way. Since you are newer to these forums, you obviously don't know me... but generally I'm not one to pick fights or put people down. More often than not I'm just acting silly. (I do have the occasional bad day, of course)

Actually, I think you'll find MOST people here on TPF pretty peaceful... I would respectfully and with a big smile and a bouquet of lovely flowers suggest making the assumption that folks here aren't out to get you.

:)

Except for me, of course. I'm out to get you. *grabs 580s and sets them to full power* Bwahahahahaha!!! ;)

I think there just needs to be a new name for the cartoon-like ones people call HDR these days.
I call it "cancer".

I mostly agree with manaheim. Most HDR photos fit into the third category of "crappy lighting, crappy composition, crappy everything, but z0mG!1! way-oversaturated colors!!11!"

I think there just needs to be a new name for the cartoon-like ones people call HDR these days.
I call it "cancer".

I mostly agree with manaheim. Most HDR photos fit into the third category of "crappy lighting, crappy composition, crappy everything, but z0mG!1! way-oversaturated colors!!11!"

HAHA yes it is. And just as Cancer grows and chokes the life out of all the good.
so will this!!!!

Most reactions

Back