Please tell me I am an idiot! Colorspace issue.

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok for some reason I seem to be having a color space issue. Although I am in sRGB, throughout my work flow the colors are all very desaturated, and there is less contrast when viewed in a web browser.

Work flow: Shoot Raw> edit in Aperture, in sRGB> open in Photoshop CS>save for web.

Now a color management warning pops us in PS, asking to convert the file from sRGB, to the working colorspace "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" or something like that. What is the difference between the 2 different sRGB profiles?

Should my working space profile be set to the profile of my monitor, and my color management set to "preserve embedded profiles"

Any help? Thanks.
-Ryan

Last edited:
OK- you are an idiot. I have no idea what you are takling about but since you asked I thought I would oblige.LOL
Judge Sharpe

If I set the color settings to web graphics default, It sets the working space to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, and turn color management off, but warns you if there are color space mismatches? I have tried all kinds of colorspace setting, and have used convert to colorspace, and tried different things, but It seem no matter what I do the the colors are always less saturated in any application except Photoshop.

Shoot in RGB and dumb down to sRGB later if you need to.

There are a lot of shades that aren't covered by sRGB that you can get with RGB.

Oh yeah, You're an idiot. :)

Ok, so when I use save for web the colors and saturation always look different right in the preview box, If I open a jpeg with preview (mac viewing program), or safari, It is color space aware and it looks right, but in a when I open in firefox 2.x, the colors are still off, even though its in sRGB, which should be correct for the web, right?

I think I just need to download firefox 3, because it has color management, But I still want my pictures to look right on other browsers, What do I do? Or is everything actually right and I'm still just and idiot?

Download all of the browsers and then open your jpg in all of them (working off line.. you knew that but just in case). It's the only way I know of to really check. Not saying that there isn't another way, just that I don't know about it. :)

As to the other color space, have you tried google? I would but I'm kind of limited just now.

Thanks, I think I figured it out for the most part, a bit of it probably also comes from the compression on "save for web" jpgs, even when the color space is correct.

Mike what RGB, AdobeRGB by any chance ;), Looks like we're trying to avoid the colour space issue not make it harder.

If photoshop is warning you that the sRGB colour space is requested it means that Aperture is not appending an ICC profile. Unless it literally says "the file profile is: sRGB, the working profile is sRGB with numbers/letters after" One of the programs is not writing / reading the ICC profile correctly.

If you download firefox 3 you are firstly going to need to manual enable colour management in the about:config dialogue box, the option is gfx.something I can't remember there are only 2 and only one is of type boolean and should be set from false to true by double clicking on it.
Also this is bandaiding a massive arterial bleed. You're not fixing the problem by hiding behind ICC profiles as the rest of the world will think your images look strange.

When using save for web click the little arrow on the right pane and tick the convert to sRGB box. This removes all the guesswork. Regardless of what your working space or image space is if this is ticked then world+dog will be able to correctly see the image if using save for web.

Also colour management is worth investigating if you have a crazy awesome printer, or send your photo out to a professional photo lab (not the local photo store). Other than that if you can't view it and can't print it why bother working in larger colour spaces.

By request, you're an idiot. Not familiar with the topic, but I thought I'd oblige since you said please. :)

Hey Thanks a lot Garbz. I just wet through all of the color space setting in both programs, turns out you can select to have a specific colorspace associated with a particular file output, so for instance when you export a tiff will always be sRGB, and when you export to photoshop it will always be Adobe 98. Or however you want it set up. So, now I have a sRGB work flow throughout.

Yep the problem is not all programs are aware of this, and will read the file as sRGB regardless if the image has the AdobeRGB(1998) profile embedded.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back